cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Policy map priority 1

0rsnaric
Level 1
Level 1

With policy-map priority, do I need to define both priority 1 and 2?  Or can I just define priority 1, and all other traffic will be 2?

My example

class-map match-any video_outbound
 match access-group 99
!
policy-map video_outbound
 class video_outbound
  priority level 1

In this example, would all hosts in access-group 99 get top priority, or is level 1 the default and everything else will be priority 1 as well?

Thanks!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hey there,

Your policy isn't complete though unless you just omitted some commands. You still need to configure the video_outbound class to be in a priority queue with priority percent for example.

You can use the following as a reference if it will help you: http://www.internetworkingcareer.com/qos/configure-basic-qos-policy/

Regards,

Tim

View solution in original post

Hi there,

You are missing the command that actually configures your class to be in a PQ. This is configured in the guide in the WAN_out policy. For example:

interface <interface>

bandwidth <bandwidth>

class video_outbound
  priority percent 10

You could also use priority <1-10000000>  Kilo Bits per second to do it by throughput rather than a percentage.

Regards,

Tim

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Tim Y
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

No you don't. The priority level command only applies to Priority Queues. It determines the order the PQ's get serviced in. It's not advisable to use multiple PQ's so you should never really need this command except in rare circumstances where it makes sense.

Based on what you have shown, your default traffic will not be priority anything as it is not in a PQ.

Regards,

Tim

Ok, so then am I correct in assuming that this will give top priority to anything outbound on gig0/0 matching access-group 99 when applied as:

interface GigabitEthernet0/0
 service-policy output video_outbound

Thanks again.

Hey there,

Your policy isn't complete though unless you just omitted some commands. You still need to configure the video_outbound class to be in a priority queue with priority percent for example.

You can use the following as a reference if it will help you: http://www.internetworkingcareer.com/qos/configure-basic-qos-policy/

Regards,

Tim

That document just shows the policy map matching traffic (i'm just matching based on a device's IP address, not app), a policy setting priority percent (i'm just using priority 1 or 2, which are incompatible with percent), and then assigning inbound/outbound to an interface.

What am I missing?

Thanks!

Hi there,

You are missing the command that actually configures your class to be in a PQ. This is configured in the guide in the WAN_out policy. For example:

interface <interface>

bandwidth <bandwidth>

class video_outbound
  priority percent 10

You could also use priority <1-10000000>  Kilo Bits per second to do it by throughput rather than a percentage.

Regards,

Tim

Perfect.  Thanks!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card