cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Position of Data Communication Equiment

SecureBlob
Level 1
Level 1

I have a question regarding the position of the Data Communication Equipment (DCE) in the case of connecting to a Frame Relay cloud. Please look at the attached picture which I downloaded from the link below (Under the section "The Basics")

http://resources.intenseschool.com/demystifying-frame-relay/

The attached file has 2 pictures that show 2 types of Frame relay connections. My question is about the position of DCE in those pictures. In the first picture the DCE is placed inside Frame Relay cloud. In the second picture it is placed outside the cloud and is mentioned CSU/DSU Device. Here are my questions.

1. In Figure 2, the DCE device (CSU/DSU) is connected to Frame Relay cloud using a T1 line. But in the case of Figure 1, DTE is directly connected to DCE. So what kind of connection is that ?
  2. Why it does not require a CSU/DSU? 
  3. In Figure 2, DCE is a CSU/DSU device, but in the case of Figure 1, what kind of equipment is the DCE? Is it a frame relay Switch?
  4. In Figure 2, one end of T1 is connected to CSU/DSU, where exactly the other end is connected?
  5. In figure 1, DCE is shown inside the Frame relay cloud. But in figure 2, the DCE is shown outside the Frame Relay Cloud. Why is that?
  6. I read in many links, "The DCE sits between the DTE (data terminal equipment) and a transmission circuit such as a phone line". This is not true when I look at Figure 1. So how do I define the position of a DCE?
  7. I understand Frame Relay is a very old technology, but is there anyone who still user Frame Relay?

I asked many questions and I just hope some of you will be able to clarify these basic questions.

1 Reply 1

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I suspect figure 1 is a "higher level" diagram, i.e. it hides some of the detail shown in figure 2.

Although figure 2 shows a standalone DSU/CSU, I recall some of the later modules cards for ISRs had the DSU/CSU on the module card.

Neither figure shows the detail of the frame-relay switches .
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card