Views
Helpful
Replies

PPPoE client support on 7600 platform

welnetcisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm in the process of building a new 7600 box to replace our internet edge router. A (difficult) requirement is that we need support for 2 PPPoE client sessions to our upstream provider. The feature navigator tells me that the PPPoE client feature (IOS >= 15.0) is only supported on branch routers (and ASR1000 platform) and not on the 7600 platform.

Is the feature navigator correct? Is this not possible at all or do i need a SIP to get this working?

To clarify, this is the configuration i want on a ethernet interface:

pppoe enable group global
pppoe-client dial-pool-number 1

And a dialer interface:

interface Dialer0

ppp authentication pap callin
 ppp pap sent-username USER password 0 PASS

2 Replies 2

xthuijs
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

hi there,

I checked the build parameters for the 7600 platform and the subsystem for pppoe-client is not linked in for the 7600 in most releases out there.

I noticed that the pppoe client subsys was added via CSCud04784  Missing PPPoE client feature in IPbase to the makefiles, but I am not sure if the 7600 is picking that up.

this patch went into 15.3, so you may want to give that a try to see if that works.

now the subsys is one part, the data forwarding is another piece, so while your session may establish, possibly the hw has no clue how to forward the packets, so best to test this like crazy :)

xander

Unfortunately i do not have a 7600 box lying around, only 6500. Any chance someone is willing to test this?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card