cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problems with 2 Static routes in the same router

haydo124
Level 1
Level 1

Hey guys, working on a project at the moment and please excuse me as im quite new and just learning.

Im having a problem where only every second packet gets through from one side of a serial router connection to another. See on the image, I am unable to reliably ping from PC0 or PC1 to the webserver or the troubleshooting PC. The webservers website can be accessed fine from the PCs however when pinging only 50% get through.

My tablets have the same ping issue however also cant access the website. Giving me the error, Server Reset Connection.

I have set up NAT translation between the ISP and Client router and have the hop addresses set on the ISP router back to the client and the client to the ISP and wireless home router.

Any help is greatly appreciated :D

dis.PNG

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

I think you had defined to default route on the router and it is making an issue for you. As you describe, the router is working fine and it is load balancing between two connections. I am not sure that you could change the load balancing algorithm on the PT or not. 

Try with below configuration:

1. Delete all existing router for serial port 0/1/0 and F0/0

2. Add below routes:

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 172.16.4.1

ip route 172.16.4.X Y.Y.Y.Y 172.16.4.130 

Here X is the Network ID of  MIK wireless router LAN Subnet. Y is the subnet mask of the MIK wireless router.  But it is not required because it is 1 hope away and you had configured NAT on the wireless router.

Regards,

Deepak Kumar

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

luis_cordova
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @haydo124,

Could you compress your exercise (winzip) and attach it to check  your configurations?

Regards

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

I think you had defined to default route on the router and it is making an issue for you. As you describe, the router is working fine and it is load balancing between two connections. I am not sure that you could change the load balancing algorithm on the PT or not. 

Try with below configuration:

1. Delete all existing router for serial port 0/1/0 and F0/0

2. Add below routes:

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 172.16.4.1

ip route 172.16.4.X Y.Y.Y.Y 172.16.4.130 

Here X is the Network ID of  MIK wireless router LAN Subnet. Y is the subnet mask of the MIK wireless router.  But it is not required because it is 1 hope away and you had configured NAT on the wireless router.

Regards,

Deepak Kumar

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

Many thanks, the second solution worked

Hello

Is this a Packet tracer lab is so please post the PT file.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

The original post describes the issue as being every other packet in the ping fails. The most common cause of this behavior is that the router has 2 routes for the destination and is using both of them (which would be the case for a ping done from the router). One of the routes works and ping sent over this one gets a response, but the second route does not work and pings sent over this one will fail. We do not have enough information yet to know if this is the case but my guess is that this is the issue.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card