cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

putting QOS for voice traffic in switches.

dheeplatini
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

does anybody know how to prioritize the voice traffic over data in the 2960 SW, in a scenario in which ethernet cable coming to ipphone & from IPphone to PC.

4 Replies 4

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Yes, I do.

laugh - I was temped to stop with the above, as it directly answers your question, but I assume you want to know how.

In principle, you recognize the VoIP traffic as being different from data traffic and provide it "special" egress treatment.  Normally you would enable QoS, and for egress, enable PQ, direct VoIP bearer traffic to that queue.  You might also direct VoIP signalling traffic to a queue that insures it's not unduly delayed or dropped.  You might also set rate caps on ingress VoIP traffic.

Recognition of VoIP traffic can be done in different ways.  Your phones might support L2 CoS or L3 ToS marking, your switch might "analyze" ingress traffic, your switch might trust a Cisco VoIP phone, your switch and VoIP phones might use a dedicated VLAN.  Basically, there's lots of variables dealing with ingress.

Unfortunately, you've provided insufficient information for specific recommendations.

PS:

BTW, your 2960 might also support auto-QoS, which may, or may not, be all you need to enable.

Hi Joseph,

I also read the same in support communities, I have a data vlan for which 2960 port is made as access & voice traffic is also carried through switchport voice vlan id  command.I am judging out with this as the 2960 switch will automatically prioritize voice traffic with cos 5 value at L2 level in Switches & with IP precedence value of 5 at L3 SVI.have I understood correctly?

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Not knowing what you've actually read, and its accuracy, unable to say whether you've understood it correctly.  What you've described, often isn't true, unless we're discussing auto-QoS.

Many Cisco "small" switches, do not enable QoS by default.  Many of these, when QoS is enabled, do set up default egress classes but they also don't trust any ingress markings.  I.e. often, default QoS, treats everything as best-effort.

Many Thanks Joeph for showing your interest in replying & help... :)  Thanks

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card