Views
Helpful
Replies

QoS Marking

zaqtivi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, 

Is it normal for certain applications to mark packets ? I don't have inbound markings yet on my Cisco router yet there are hits for cs6, cs7, af31, af21 and all. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

That config snippet from a 2960/3560/3750?

From what you've posted, traffic entering port g1/0/2 should be marked with either DSCP EF, CS3 or BE.  Locally sourced traffic, on that switch, might have other DSCP markings (like CS6 or CS7), and/or additional marking depending on ingress settings for all the other switch's ports.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That very much depends on the application, and also whether host will allow or filter QoS markings upon host egress.

CS6 and CS7 markings, though, are not for general application use, but for network device use.  I recall (?) CS6 is for network operations, e.g. routing protocol communications, and CS7 for network errors.

Thanks Joseph, but I saw AF31, AF33 as well. I have attached QoS related configurations on a switch directly connected to the router. I'm not a QoS expert, but can you kindly check if the configurations might be the one marking the packets towards the router ?

That config snippet from a 2960/3560/3750?

From what you've posted, traffic entering port g1/0/2 should be marked with either DSCP EF, CS3 or BE.  Locally sourced traffic, on that switch, might have other DSCP markings (like CS6 or CS7), and/or additional marking depending on ingress settings for all the other switch's ports.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card