cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

QoS Never works no matter what I do

pawan.netpro
Level 1
Level 1

I have CISCO2911/K9 with IPBasek9 and SecurityK9. Link to ISP is 16 Mbps with NAT configured on g0/0. I have configured simple policy that does priority for one class and simple fair queue for rest of the classes. And as obvious i have applied the policy outbound towards my LAN side g0/2. Priority never works no matter what style of configuration I apply. The below is the config:

CLASSIFICATION

ACL OF PRIORITY USERS

ip access-list extended PRIORITY_ACL_DOWNLOAD

permit ip any host 192.168.2.250
 permit ip any host 192.168.1.200
 permit ip any host 192.168.1.201
 permit ip any host 192.168.1.195
 permit ip any host 192.168.10.7
 permit ip any host 192.168.1.199
 permit ip any host 192.168.1.210
 permit ip any host 192.168.10.66
 permit ip any host 192.168.2.201
 permit ip any host 192.168.3.252
 permit ip any host 192.168.10.245
 permit ip any host 192.168.3.250
 permit ip any host 192.168.4.51
 permit ip any host 192.168.4.52
 permit ip any host 192.168.10.253
 permit ip any host 192.168.10.249
 permit ip any host 192.168.10.62
 permit ip any host 192.168.10.59
 permit ip any host 192.168.10.250
 permit ip any host 192.168.10.12
 permit ip any host 192.168.10.254
 permit ip any host 192.168.10.88
 permit ip any host 192.168.10.89
 permit ip any host 192.168.10.45
 deny   ip any any

ACL OF OTHER DEPARTMENTs

ip access-list extended ADMIN
permit ip any 192.168.10.0 0.0.0.255
deny ip any any
ip access-list extended AEI1
permit ip any 192.168.5.0 0.0.0.255
deny ip any any
ip access-list extended AEI2
permit ip any 192.168.4.0 0.0.0.255
deny ip any any
ip access-list extended CSE
permit ip any 192.168.2.0 0.0.0.255
deny ip any any
ip access-list extended DNS_
permit udp any any eq domain
deny ip any any
ip access-list extended ELECT
permit ip any 192.168.8.0 0.0.0.255
deny ip any any
ip access-list extended IT
permit ip any 192.168.1.0 0.0.0.255
deny ip any any
ip access-list extended MECH
permit ip any 192.168.6.0 0.0.0.255
deny ip any any

CLASS-MAPS

class-map match-all PRIORITY_DOWNLOAD
match access-group name PRIORITY_ACL_DOWNLOAD

class-map match-all MECH
match access-group name MECH
class-map match-all VP
match access-group name VP
class-map match-all PG
match access-group name PG
class-map match-all IT
match access-group name IT
class-map match-all ADMIN
match access-group name ADMIN
class-map match-all CSE
match access-group name CSE

class-map match-all ELECT
match access-group name ELECT
class-map match-all AEI1
match access-group name AEI1
class-map match-all AEI2
match access-group name AEI2

POLICY-MAP

policy-map MBSD
 class PRIORITY_DOWNLOAD
  priority 15000
 class PG
  bandwidth 200
 class MECH
  bandwidth 100
 class IT
  bandwidth 100
 class CSE
  bandwidth 100
 class VP
  bandwidth 100
 class AEI1
  bandwidth 100
 class ADMIN
  bandwidth 100
 class AEI2
  bandwidth 100
 class ELECT
  bandwidth 99
 class class-default
  bandwidth 1
policy-map MBS_DOWNLOAD
 class class-default
  shape average 16000000
   service-policy MBSD

APPLYING THE POLICY

R1# int g0/2

R1#  service-policy output MBS_DOWNLOAD

OBSERVATION:-

I want to let the priority class go out with 15Mbps bandwidth but it never works. Please help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

This is so frustrating.....:(

Indeed it is.  It's somewhat like posting good advice, and seeing it discounted.  ;)

From what you've described, all sounds like how I would expect things to behave.

Again, I've already explained why your approach won't work, using "ordinary" Cisco QoS, but I didn't mention, as it doesn't really matter in your case, that Cisco interfaces support hardware FIFO TX queues.  These overflow into the CBWFQ queues.  I.e. these TX queues can make it appear CBWFQ isn't working.

To make CBWFQ "more effective" you need to decrease the TX queue size.

I mention the foregoing because the TX queue size can negate much of what CBWFQ offers.  Again, though, it won't help you in your case.

View solution in original post

19 Replies 19

Hello

Just to confirm you wish to prioritise traffic on your Lan facing interface of the rtr ?

If so then using a policer would be more appropriate, Shaping is most applicable to egress traffic on wan interfaces

Also I can see the class maps are match-ALL which means for this to work ALL conditions in the acl has to match however a match ANY statement would mean only 1 condition in the acl would need to match 

res

paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi,

I am doing the shaping for the download traffic towards the LAN facing clients

that's why its 

ip access-list extended PRIORITY_ACL_DOWNLOAD
 permit ip any host 192.168.1.200

which means source is anything but destination is known to be my LAN clients and that would be their download traffic.

what you think!

Hello,

as far as I know, you cannot shape ingress traffic, you can only police it, as Paul has suggested.

Yes you are right. But clearly see as per my config the shaper is definately outbound but not towards WAN but towards the clients (LAN).

For DOWNLOAD Stream (see arrow direction)

Client (192.168.1.20)<-------[3750-X]<-------(<<outbound shaper for download at G0/2 for clients )[c2911]<--------Internet

In ACLs, I am matching on the destination address of the outgoing packet to be classified. That is why you do not see any keyword in the end!

Please also review my config I pasted above.

OR

please suggest what should i do to accomplish the goal of prioritizing the download/upload traffic for PRIORITY Internet users (with an example :)).

NOTE: My question is similar to the below post but in my case I do not see the PRIORITY working, suppose I say 192.168.2.250 and 192.168.2.100 both downloading a file and as 192.168.2.250 is in PRIORITY_ACL_DOWNLOAD it must get 15000kbps of bandwidth alone leaving rest for 192.168.2.100, but i do not see policy working this way.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/10956426/limiting-bandwidth-cisco-router-possible-1800-series

NOTE: My question is similar to the below post but in my case I do not see the PRIORITY working . . .

Again, I've already posted what you're doing will be ineffective, and why that's so.

To recap that, if your ingress is physically limited to some bandwidth, and downstream of that bandwidth you shape a higher bandwidth port for the same bandwidth as the upstream supports, the shaper won't queue any traffic, and if no traffic is queued, there's nothing to prioritize.

If you wanted to see your shaper do "something", shape slower than your 16 Mbps.  Then you should be able to see some traffic getting priority.  However, doing this, you've only mostly held back your non-priority traffic.  If you queue enough of your non-priority traffic that it starts to drop packets, depending on the nature of that traffic, it may slow its transmission rate allowing more bandwidth, upstream, for your priority traffic.

As noted above, if some traffic "sees" drops, it may slow its transmission rate.  So you might also police inbound non-priority traffic trying to keep bandwidth available for your priority traffic.  Likewise, some traffic, for example, TCP, will also slow it's transmission rate if you slow its returning ACKs.  Both of these approaches aren't very dynamic regarding the needs of the priority traffic.  You may not preserve enough bandwidth for your priority traffic and/or allow bandwidth to go unused.

Where you really want your inbound QoS policy is on the service provider's egress port, unfortunately most service providers will not support/allow this.

Trying to manage ingress bandwidth, at the receiving end, can be very difficult especially if only using router QoS features.  "Special" dedicated traffic shaping appliances can do much more, but even they are not 100% effective in all cases.  However, if you really need to better manage ingress bandwidth, and your service provider won't provide QoS on their end of the link, that's likely your most effective option.

Joseph,

Thanks for the reply.

Can you please tell me a way i achieve the result? that is prioritizing the download traffic for some specific users based on ACL.

I shall be thankfull to you!

Any One////////////

Hello,

replace the 'priority' with 'police'. 

policy-map MBSD
 class PRIORITY_DOWNLOAD
  police 15000000

policy-map MBS_DOWNLOAD
class class-default
 police 16000000

Once you have changed those settings, do you get any matches when you do a 'show policy-map interface' ?

Yes ...but How can I be sure that PRIORITY USER is being preferred first.

One more thing.. do i need to put the non-priority users in police too!

Hello,

I would simplify the policy and just use the priority download class:

class-map match-all PRIORITY_DOWNLOAD

policy-map MBSD
 class PRIORITY_DOWNLOAD
  priority 15000000
 class class-default

Hello

Dont forget
class-map match-ANY PRIORITY_DOWNLOAD

res
Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

class-map match-any PRIORITY_DOWNLOAD

policy-map MBSD
 class PRIORITY_DOWNLOAD
  priority 15000
 class class-default

..............Still the bandwidth is divided into half, if both (Priority and Non_priority) aggressively try downloading some file from Internet.

Hello,

I am wondering if the policy should be configured inbound instead of outbound. From the point of view of the interface, you are prioritizing inbound traffic

So try:

service-policy input MBS_DOWNLOAD

Indeed it is.  It's somewhat like posting good advice, and seeing it discounted.  ;)

From what you've described, all sounds like how I would expect things to behave.

Again, I've already explained why your approach won't work, using "ordinary" Cisco QoS, but I didn't mention, as it doesn't really matter in your case, that Cisco interfaces support hardware FIFO TX queues.  These overflow into the CBWFQ queues.  I.e. these TX queues can make it appear CBWFQ isn't working.

To make CBWFQ "more effective" you need to decrease the TX queue size.

I mention the foregoing because the TX queue size can negate much of what CBWFQ offers.  Again, though, it won't help you in your case.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card