Views
Helpful
Replies

QOS on internet routers

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi All

Can anyone tell me if many people apply QOS on their internet routers?

There is nothing we can do inbound, but I want to save outbound drops at the providers PE router so I apply QOS outbound for my voice and video traffic so I can at least control traffic to the provider.

Do many people do this?

cheers

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hmm, common (others doing such), that's hard to say.

You can prioritize traffic (if there's congestion), as it egresses your device going to the ISP. Almost always, Internet devices will not "honor" your ToS markings, so there's often no benefit to such markings. Usually, though, Internet devices will not change your ToS marking, so it might be useful at the other end of your Internet transit.

Also usually, many Internet providers work very hard to insure traffic is not subject to congestion while crossing the Internet. However, that leaves four typical bottlenecks, your link to the Internet, both ingress and egress, and the "far side's" connection to the Internet, again both ingress and egress. What you're doing only addresses one of those usual bottlenecks, so when working with "sensitive" traffic you're still much at risk unless you can totally control/manage (i.e. QoS) ingress and egress traffic for both "ends" of your Internet path. (NB: the latter can be done if you only use your Internet connections for traffic to/from your other Internet connections, alone.)

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Hello,

it is quite common to configure QoS (especially for delay sensitive traffic such as voice and video) on the Internet facing router. What are your parameters ?

Hi

We prioritize, voice/video 30%

provide SIP / H323 with a minimum bandwidth

then apply outbound towards ISP

Hello,

sounds good. Do you need help with configuring this ?

Hi Georg

No I'm all good on that front,

Just wanted to know if this is common practice, as we all know, QOS is not honoured over the Internet, but we can control what we send out to at least control anything up to the ISP, but not from, does that sound accurate to you ?

Hello @carl_townshend 

When you say internet routers do you mean pure internet outbreak or to site-to-site vpn or wan circuit such as a mpls?

Can you elaborate?

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi, I mean pure Internet routers that connect to our ISP

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hmm, common (others doing such), that's hard to say.

You can prioritize traffic (if there's congestion), as it egresses your device going to the ISP. Almost always, Internet devices will not "honor" your ToS markings, so there's often no benefit to such markings. Usually, though, Internet devices will not change your ToS marking, so it might be useful at the other end of your Internet transit.

Also usually, many Internet providers work very hard to insure traffic is not subject to congestion while crossing the Internet. However, that leaves four typical bottlenecks, your link to the Internet, both ingress and egress, and the "far side's" connection to the Internet, again both ingress and egress. What you're doing only addresses one of those usual bottlenecks, so when working with "sensitive" traffic you're still much at risk unless you can totally control/manage (i.e. QoS) ingress and egress traffic for both "ends" of your Internet path. (NB: the latter can be done if you only use your Internet connections for traffic to/from your other Internet connections, alone.)

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card