Views
Helpful
Replies

QOS over a Metro ethernet link

William Maguire
Level 1
Level 1

All,

I have a 10 mbps metro ethernet point to point link.  Nightly very large backups saturate the link, which is fine.  The issue is my network management traffic gets starved out and I get tons of device down emails.  The devices on each side are Cat 3560's running c3560-ipservices-mz.122-35.SE5.bin.  I have tried SRR on each side to no avail as well as trying to set a dscp value to icmp and giving it a small share of the bandwidth.  If anyone has any ideas on what I should try next I would appreciate it.

Bill

4 Replies 4

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Bill,

even if not usual you could try to use the priority queue for the management traffic, in this way you should be able to give strict preference to this traffic.

Or,  have you tried to use shaped mode instead of shared mode ?  This also could be something to test.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3560/software/release/12.2_46_se/configuration/guide/swqos.html#wp1395244

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Giuseppe,

I'm going to look at shaped mode today.  Tanks for the Idea.

Bill

Marwan ALshawi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

do you have the link L2 trunk adn your services using diffrent VLANs? if yes you could use in 3560 per vlan policing !

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.  No the link is actually point to point routed (each side of the link has an IP address).

Thanks,

Bill

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card