Views
Helpful
Replies

Qos Question

vinodbharwani
Level 1
Level 1

Hello friend

I have question, i have three router connecte like Lan-R1-R2-R3-Lan.

suppose i am doing Qos on R1 router ( like ipprecedance), should i need to Qos or any kind of configuration requied on R2 and R3 router... Please suggest

-V

3 Replies 3

gpulos
Level 8
Level 8

Yes,

QoS on one segment of an internetwork when the traffic has to traverse 4 segments is vitually the same as no QoS. (depending on your needs)

You'll need IP Precedence on LAN1 to R1; then you'll need to setup LLQ/MQC or CBWFQ from R1 to R2 & R2 to R3 then the final ingress port of the switch on LAN2.

Please see the following link for more info on LLQ/MQC and CBWFQ:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk543/tk544/tsd_technology_support_protocol_home.html

Thanks for prompt answer

one more question suppose can i do same thing with internet backbone, i have 1mb pipe up to service provider end UK and USA ( samething at USA end) , so how can i priorites packet across the internet backbone ,since internet is open not bandwidth limition ..etc.

Please suggest

-V

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

When you say you're just doing QoS on the R1 router (using IP Precedence), what do you mean specifically?

Generally, QoS attempts to manage, or preclude, congestion. (BTW, QoS isn't always effective; other considerations apply.)

If there is no congestion along any part of the path, QoS would be useless.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card