Views
Helpful
Replies

QoS support on LAN ports of Cisco 900 and 1000 routers

filopeter
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

do you know if the embedded LAN switch on these platforms is QoS aware?
What kind of QoS features are supported/configurable in ingress and egress direction?

Best Regards,

Peter

3 Replies 3

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Ref : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/900-series-integrated-services-routers-isr/datasheet-c78-741615.html

Look for QoS with your browser.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Hello,

I don't think these ports support QoS. I have looked around extensively, but could not find any information of any QoS configuration/support for the embedded LAN switch ports...

filopeter
Level 1
Level 1

I did some small testing and here are the results. Maybe someone will find them useful.

The following command output on ISR1100 routers (IOS XE version 16.12.6) is misleading:

C1116#show interface g0/1/1 capabilities 
GigabitEthernet0/1/1
Model: C1116-ES-4
Type: 10/100/1000BaseTX
Speed: 10,100,1000,auto
Duplex: half,full,auto
Trunk encap. type: 802.1Q
Trunk mode: on,off,desirable,nonegotiate
Channel: yes
Broadcast suppression: none
Flowcontrol: rx-(off,on),tx-(none)
Fast Start: yes
QoS scheduling: rx-(not configurable on per port basis),
tx-(4p4q0t)
CoS rewrite: yes
ToS rewrite: no
UDLD: no
Inline power: no
SPAN: source/destination
PortSecure: no
Dot1x: yes
Multiple Media Types: rj45

Any QoS service-policy attached to router's switchport in any direction is ignored by the operating system and does nothing.
To apply some QoS features, you have to configure an SVI interface and apply required QoS service-policy under the SVI interface for specific vlan. The QoS policy cannot be a queueing policy (cannot contain shape or bandwith commands). QoS capabilities on the switchport are limited to clasiffication, remarking and policing in either direction.
These findings apply also to C900 routers (IOS version 15.9(3)M2), where the "show interface capabilities" command is not supported.

Since the first HWIC-ESW release, it looks like Cisco did not improve the QoS features on the switchports.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card