Views
Helpful
Replies

Question about bandwidth monitoring

raga.fusionet
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Guys,

The company I'm working with has two Internet links from the same ISP, 50 Mbs each, they both terminate on the same Cisco Router. Now a few days ago they realized they were only getting 50 MBs thru one link and nothing on the other one. Appereantly due to an issue with the ISPs BGP config and they are working on getting it fixed.

Now, we realized there were only 50 Mbs becuase the end users started complaining so we are looking for a way to proactively monitor how much bandwidth we are getting on each link to ensure that we are getting the 100Mbs that ISP should be delivering. What would be the easiest way to to this?

Thanks a bunch!

Raga

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

SNMP will give you basic bandwidth monitoring. There are a million tools for that-

Linux based: Cacti, MRTG

Windows based: Solarwinds, PRTG

If you want something a little more in-depth try netflow. Plenty of monitors for that too. Google Netflow and you'll get a bunch of results.

Hope it helps Raga.

View solution in original post

vmiller
Level 7
Level 7

there are any number of freebies out there. MRTG being one of the most popular. Solar Winds has a number of products that may meet your need. What you will see is what you are utilizing on a given link,

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

SNMP will give you basic bandwidth monitoring. There are a million tools for that-

Linux based: Cacti, MRTG

Windows based: Solarwinds, PRTG

If you want something a little more in-depth try netflow. Plenty of monitors for that too. Google Netflow and you'll get a bunch of results.

Hope it helps Raga.

vmiller
Level 7
Level 7

there are any number of freebies out there. MRTG being one of the most popular. Solar Winds has a number of products that may meet your need. What you will see is what you are utilizing on a given link,

I just checked and they already have PRTG for internal monitoring, I think we'll try that on the edge router.

Thanks guys!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card