cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Question about the Integrated ethernet ports on 2811 router

jcerero77
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to connect a 3560 poE-48 switch to a 2811 using one of the integrated ethernet ports. I was trying to set up this port as a regular switchport access port, but I do not have that option. I currently have it set up:

interface FastEthernet0/0

no ip address

duplex auto

speed auto

vlan-id dot1q 64

exit-vlan-config

Will this do the same as if I had "switchport access vlan 64"

The router has been live for a couple of years - this is how it has been setup.

interface Vlan64

ip address 192.168.190.33 255.255.255.224 secondary

ip address 10.73.226.65 255.255.255.192

ip helper-address 10.74.11.78

Am I missing something?

Just in case this is the output of a sh ver for the 2811. 

Cisco IOS Software, 2800 Software (C2800NM-IPBASE-M), Version 12.4(3d), RELEASE
SOFTWARE (fc3)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 1986-2006 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Wed 19-Apr-06 09:18 by alnguyen

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.4(1r) [hqluong 1r], RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

ROPH-Physcians uptime is 2 weeks, 2 days, 5 hours, 3 minutes
System returned to ROM by power-on
System restarted at 06:03:45 CENTRAL_DST Sat Jul 23 2011
System image file is "flash:c2800nm-ipbase-mz.124-3d.bin"

Cisco 2811 (revision 53.51) with 249856K/12288K bytes of memory.
Processor board ID FTX1024A4DE
18 FastEthernet interfaces
1 Serial interface
DRAM configuration is 64 bits wide with parity enabled.
239K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.
62720K bytes of ATA CompactFlash (Read/Write)

Configuration register is 0x2102

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

If the 3560 port is just configured as an access port for VLAN 64, try:

duplex auto

speed auto

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Amit Aneja
Level 3
Level 3

Fa0/0 is a routed port, you cannot change that to switchport. If you are interested in communication b/w switch & router, you could configure sub-interface on the router.

int fa0/0.1

encap dot1q 64

ip address x.x.x.x x.x.x.x

Please explain the objective.

HTH,

Amit Aneja

HI Amit & Joseph,

Thanks for your quick response - the objective is to get them more ports for end devices for this site - this router already has a 16 port hwic. The idea was to daisy chain this 3560 to the router.

Joseph - so I should just move all information that I currently have under interface vlan 64 and move it to the fastethernet0/0. This is probably going to cause a brief outage while I make that change, but this won't work unless the switch is plugged into the router, correct?

I assume that right now, one of the ports on that NM-16ESW is connected to 3560, & you want to free one of those ports for end hosts & move 3560 to fa0/0 port of 2800.

With the configuration that Jospeph posted, it should work. Yes, this won't work unless you connect the switchport to router.

duplex auto

speed auto

As Collin mentioned, you could add some L2 ports by plugging in the HWIC modules like HWIC-4ESW or HWIC-9ESW, apart from a NM.

Thanks Amit,

Currently the switch is not plugged in but we are in need of more ports for new devices that will be deployed in a couple of weeks. And we will need more than 9 ports that is why we are putting a 3560. I will have the switch installed and once it's installed I'll go ahead and move the configuration from int vlan 64 to the int fa0/0 and hopefully the switch comes up without a problem. Thanks for all your help.

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

You have two more options, first as Amit described in his first post, you can trunk from the switch and define subinterfaces on the router's port.  Second, since you're using a 3560, and its a L3 switch, you can route directly on it.  Depending on your expect traffic load, the 2811 has very limited performance, it can not really guarantee driving one FastE duplex port at line rate.

PS:

Also as Amit noted, yes moving ports will cause a brief network interruption.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

If the 3560 port is just configured as an access port for VLAN 64, try:

duplex auto

speed auto

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

There are specific modules that can be plugged into the router to give you switch functionality. Unfortunately the ports on the chassis are routed ports only.

Hope it helps.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card