cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Question to Class of Service

uwe.dreier
Level 1
Level 1

I have had lot of discussions on the below question .. maybe somebody can guide me to a 120% watertight answer

If we have say 30Mbps IP bandwidth and the customer requests 8Mbps Rt-Vo (EF). I understand that is there is no Rt-Vo traffic this 8Mbps is still available for other traffic (Date Classes D1, D2, D3). However if I have some (1Mbs for example) voice traffic, will the remaining 7Mbps we available for other traffic or will suddenly only 22Mbps be available for traffic in other CoSs?

2 Replies 2

sivai2tech
Level 1
Level 1

EF will have 8Mbps reserved and the reset available BW(22Mbps) is for other queues.

If there is no rate-limit configured for the EF queue & it is not full, then leftover BW from EF + 22Mpbs will be available for other queues.

Thank You,

Siva

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Answer depends on how the 8 Mbps has been "reserved".  Usually, it's a soft reservation which means unused bandwidth is available for other purposes.  This would include the reserved class not using any or all of its bandwidth.

For example, a typical CBWFQ policy might look like:

policy-map softReserve

class 8MbpsLLQ4EF

priority 8000000

class class-default

bandwidth 22000000

But an unusual policy might be like this:

policy-map hardReserve

class 8MbpsLLQ4EF

priority 8000000

class class-default

bandwidth 22000000

shape average 22000

If you're wondering why the 2nd policy might be used, could be a ISP policy where you've "contracted" for 8 Mbps of EF bandwidth and 22 Mbps of non-EF bandwidth rather than contracting for 30 Mbps of bandwidth, of which 8 Mbps gets priority treatment.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card