Views
Helpful
Replies

Rate limit - simulation

learnsec
Level 1
Level 1

hello,

i would like to do a bandwidth test for a certain application (http) in order to specify the required bandwidth needed on the internet link.

so i want to simulate an internet link for a 2 gbps to see the response time.

i would like to check if rate limit command on the interface of the router is enough?

interface fe1/1

rate-limit input 2000000000 375000000 750000000 conform-action transmit exceed-action drop

rate-limit output 2000000000 375000000 750000000 conform-action transmit exceed-action drop

best regards,

6 Replies 6

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

as your rate-limit config is for all traffic you can just use an extended ping like this:

ping x.x.x.x rep 100000 size xx timeout 0

Regards.

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

thanks cadet, but u didnt get my question,

i do ask about the configuration done on the interface is it enough?

and is the rate limit paramteres like maxim burst and normal burst, for a dedicated bandwidth of 2gbps as an internet link are ok?

interface fe1/1

rate-limit input 2000000000 375000000 750000000 conform-action transmit exceed-action drop

rate-limit output 2000000000 375000000 750000000 conform-action transmit exceed-action drop

so the above config do simulate exactly an internet link of 2 gbps or i do have to some additionals?

(concerning the type of traffic i dont have on my test enviroment else this application running  and it is over http)

any assistance?

Hi,

you must aggregate links to get the 2 Gigs and the CAR policy will only limit the traffic but why limit it to the max bandwidth ? I don't really see the point of your experimentation ?

Regards.

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Thanks alain for ur reply,

But what do you mean by "you must aggregate link" ? the rate limit comand isnt enough?

My question is how to exactly simulate an internet link for speed 2 gbps!! Rate limit is enough?!

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

For a policer, if your actual 2 Gbps interface queue up to 40 packets, and assuming they don't exceed standard max Ethernet size, try setting your policer Bc to equal 40*1518(*8 - if Bc is in bits).  Be would be 0.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card