Views
Helpful
Replies

Redundancy with two ISPs by configuring BGP

cyber_ume69
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

I have two public IPs (two different ISPs) and i am  planning to configure redundancy between these IPs for my network. Here i  can configure HSRP or any redundany protocol but the challenge is for  the mail or webserver where the incoming traffic towards them will face  issues as the public IP will change.

BGP will be an idea solution, my idea is to configure BGP multi  homing with one set of public IPs from one ISP to be peered with the  other ISP with private AS at our premise. Do let me if this will be an  idea solution or pls suggest any other solutions.  

Regards,

Umesh

1 Reply 1

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Umesh,

>> BGP will be an idea solution, my idea is to configure BGP multi  homing with one set of public IPs from one ISP to be peered with the  other ISP with private AS at our premise

If you mean advertising ISP1 public IP address block to ISP2 on eBGP session to ISP2, this cannot be done without prior agreements between your company, ISP1 and ISP2.

In the public internet an ISP1 IP address block must  appear as originated in ISP1 AS number, it cannot appear as originated in ISP2 AS number or originated by a private AS number.

The agreements mentioned above includes, but they are not limited to, a BGP peering between ISP1 and ISP2.

In your case you may consider a solution at DNS servers level to have the DNS records for the servers updated in case of failover.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card