Views
Helpful
Replies

Remove static default route

Pete89
Level 2
Level 2

Hello,

I have a L3 switch that has a static default route pointing to a FW that is connected to an Internet circuit. The same L3 switch is doing EIGRP with routers on our MPLS network. If that static default route goes away EIGRP will inject a default route and users will get thier Internet traffic through the MPLS cloud as a backup.

My question is how can I remove that static default route with a mechanism that is unique to the Internet circuit. I cant rely on line protocol because that hardly ever goes down. I cant rely on IP SLA pinging Internet addresses because if they went down via the Internet circuit they would quickly become available on the MPLS circuit and create an IP SLA loop.

I wish I could do BGP with the Internet provider but this circuit is in a country where that would be tough.

Any ideas on how to remove that static default route based on something that is unique to that Internet circuit.

Thank you,

P.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mikeleebrla
Level 1
Level 1

" I cant rely on IP SLA pinging Internet addresses because if they went down via the Internet circuit they would quickly become available on the MPLS circuit and create an IP SLA loop."

To remedy this situation you need to add a route with the "permanent" switch at the end to whichever IP you are tracking on your IPSLA.... That way, if that interface went down, your IPSLA pings would stop, and IPSLA would kick in and change your default route.

Example:

ip route 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.255 2.2.2.2 permanent

where 1.1.1.1 is the IP you are tracking, and 2.2.2.2 is your 'usual' default gateway.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

mikeleebrla
Level 1
Level 1

" I cant rely on IP SLA pinging Internet addresses because if they went down via the Internet circuit they would quickly become available on the MPLS circuit and create an IP SLA loop."

To remedy this situation you need to add a route with the "permanent" switch at the end to whichever IP you are tracking on your IPSLA.... That way, if that interface went down, your IPSLA pings would stop, and IPSLA would kick in and change your default route.

Example:

ip route 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.255 2.2.2.2 permanent

where 1.1.1.1 is the IP you are tracking, and 2.2.2.2 is your 'usual' default gateway.

Pete89
Level 2
Level 2

This is great, simple and effective.

Thank you so much!

dmuinoorallo
Level 1
Level 1

I think if you configure a Tunnel VPN is the better solution, if your remote peer don't respond your route go down.

Could you check it

ip route 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.255 interf Tun10000

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card