cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Reset a 2600

IT_-_Department
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 2600 Router that has been donated to my use for some lab work.  The thing was locked down pretty well.  I have console access to it (obviously) but there is a console PW assigned.  How can I reset the silly thing back to factory defaults including wiping the con PW?  I cannot get to it to reset the boot register from 2102 to 2142 or similar.  Is there a way to bypass this and reset the device?                  

4 Replies 4

vmiller
Level 7
Level 7

did you try this?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/products_password_recovery09186a0080094675.shtml.

the trick is making sure your term emulatior is sending the break key.

Keep in mind that is ctrl+break and not break alone. You need to press at least three times within 60 seconds and you'll see you will be in. As above suggested, if ctrl + break does not work, change terminal emulator. the rest is what is described in vmiller link.

Take care

Alessio

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

I am using Putty and there is a special command option, but I am pretty sure that is sending just a Break not Ctrl + Break.

I need to find another Terminal Emmulator that will send the Ctrl + Break and hope that will reset the Router to Factory Default boot, as I cannot get into the Con Port without the set PW so I cannot follow the steps in the above link. 

I will post here what happens next when i get a chance to try another Term Emm product.

Hi Eric,

this is what you can do with Putty:

hope this helps

Alessio

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card