Views
Helpful
Replies

Reset a Ciso Router

TomLew-CHP
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Prior to reading the "Reset a Cisco Router to Factory Default Setting", I pretty much follow step-by-step of the Method 1 procedure in setting the config-register to 0x2102 and then Reload.  When I got to the "System Configuration has been Modified. Save? [Yes/No]",  I accidentally entered "Yes" and now the router would not boot up.  So far I have not been able to locate any document that said "What If you Accidentally Enter Yes, When You Should have Entered No, and This What You Should Do".   I have a C2610XM Router.  Any recommendation to get the router working again is greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

6 Replies 6

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Tom,

When you tun off the router and turn it back on, what do you see on the screen?  How far does the router boot?

where does it stop.  Can you post the sequence here?

Reza,

When I power up the Router this is what I get on the screen:

System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(8r) [cmong 8r],  Release Software (fc1)

Copyright (c)  2003 by cisco systems, Inc.

C2600 platform with 163840 Kbytes of main memory

***** Alignment Error Exception ********

PC = 0xfff0392c, Vector = 0x600,  SP = 0x80004884

monitor:  command "boot" aborted due to exception

Then it would just freeze from this point on.  Even though I waited for a good 15min, it would not response to any key stroke or input.

Tom,

Can you follow this link and see if you can load the router

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/products_password_recovery09186a0080094675.shtml

If that does not help, than use this link to load an IOS into the flash using xmodem

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/products_tech_note09186a008015bfac.shtml

HTH

Reza,

Power up my router this morning, it was able to reboot completely and I am able to get the router> prompt.  Guessing that after an extended power off period, there maybe an internal counter of sort in resetting itself,.... just a guess.

Thank you, Reza for your response.  I will save the two links that you provided in case I ran into trouble again.

Tom

Tom,

Just something to consider. I'd be wary about how and where I used this router. I'd consider sending it back to Cisco, or consider relegating it to your test rack, I certainly wouldn't want to send it to a remote production site.

Tony

Tony,

Good recommendation, I think it will go onto my bench for future testing purposes.

Thank you, Tony for your response.

Tom

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: