Helpful
Replies

Restrict Bandwidth Per IP dynamically

GNOC IBEX
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

its kind of strange requirement.

But here is scenario. i have 100Mbps bandwidth from which i have assign 40% Voice Strict priority and then 30% bandwidth assigned to production Websites and then 5% for windows update WSUS and remaining 25% for default internet.

Problem is that at any given time , i see spikes in my bandwidth to 90% and then it normalize and then it spikes and then normalize.

actually users start download, and when download finishes bandwidth is back to normal. i don't want bandwidth to spike to 90% due to one agent.

i have 1000 + Users in office.

what i want is that no user should be Able to get more than 10Mbps of traffic at any given time. i mean what ever user PC IP is downloading any thing his upper limit gets restricted to 10Mbps. so that one or two users cant eat up complete bandwidth.

how can i achieve this?

3 Replies 3

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Unclear why you're so concerned about user bandwidth spikes.  A major point of QoS is to manage congestion.  For example, deprioritize download traffic so it only uses "excess" bandwidth, then it doesn't much matter if the link is driven to even 100%.

That said, what you can do depends on the platform.  You might be able to have an ingress edge policy to police some kinds of traffic.

The converse is more of a problem.  On the 6500 you can also use microflow policers.  Otherwise, prioritize traffic, so the less important traffic, (again) only uses "excess" bandwidth.

A problem is if you cannot manage QoS, and bottlenecks, end-to-end.  An example would be downloads from the Internet.  You can police such, but that may, or may not, influence inbound traffic rates.  For such situations, a 3rd party bandwidth manage appliance would be best, but even they cannot deal with all situations.

Hum problem is i have allocated 25% for general internet. But internet is also important for production.

Problem occurs when one user starts download some heavy download or upgrade that eats up that 25% portion of internet, then even if someone need to access some citrix or GTM session they will face delays due to all25% consumed.

so  what i am looking for that no Single IP could get more than defined bandwidth (may be 10Mbps or 5Mbps ) so that they cant starve 25% internet portion in any case.

is there any such feature ? i have Cisco ASR 1002x at Data Center and 4431 and 3945 at branches.

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

As you mention ASRs and ISR, their CBWFQ class FQ migth help you too.  It won't limit one flow from grabbing bandwidth, but it does keep such grabbing from being as adverse to other traffic when in a shared FIFO queue.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card