cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RIP does not resdistribute own static route to other router on the same L2 network.

Takuro Moriyama
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Expert,

I have a question.

This case is My RIP Lab's question.

Refer to the attacment NW diagram.

My RIP Lab are 4 rip routers.
They are enabled rip version2 and no auto-summary command.
And The R2 router is enabled redistribute static function to RIP v2 domain.
The R2 router is configured a static route "172.16.0.0/16 nexthop R1".
But R2 does not redistribute it to other routers. (R3 and R4).

I think that R2,R1,R3 and R4 are connected on the same L2 network.
So, The R2 router does not redistribute own static route ?

Please give me some advice.

Best regards,
takuro.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

Based on your design, each router has 1 interface RIP enabled. 

The subnet you're trying to redistribute from R2 is the same as R1 is announcing. 

RIPv2 has a prevention loop called split-horizon, like all distance vector protocol.

Split Horizon goal: RIPv2 will not send updates back out of the interface on which they were received .

If this is a lab, and ONLY for testing, you can deactivate split-horizon, but be careful you'll probably face a loop.

Thanks 

PS: Please don't forget to rate and mark as correct answer if this solved your issue 

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

Based on your design, each router has 1 interface RIP enabled. 

The subnet you're trying to redistribute from R2 is the same as R1 is announcing. 

RIPv2 has a prevention loop called split-horizon, like all distance vector protocol.

Split Horizon goal: RIPv2 will not send updates back out of the interface on which they were received .

If this is a lab, and ONLY for testing, you can deactivate split-horizon, but be careful you'll probably face a loop.

Thanks 

PS: Please don't forget to rate and mark as correct answer if this solved your issue 

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

Dear supportlan,

Thank you for your advice.
Thanks to you I was able to understand that.
I agree with you.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Best ragards,
takuro.

You're very welcome 

Thanks
Francesco

David_Che
Level 1
Level 1
  • Even R2 redistribute static route into RIPv2, R3 and R4 will still prefer route 172.16.0.0/16 from R1 as its HOP=0 rather than from R2 with HOP=3. 
  • Configuring this static route on R2 can not perform route backup for R2, R3, R4. Wether R1's 10.255.0.1 or 172.16.0.0/16 is disconnected, R2/R3/R4 will lose connection with 172.16.0.0/16.

Dear David_Che,

Thank you for your advice.
Thanks to you I was able to understand that.
Thank you in advance for your help.

Best ragards,
takuro.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card