cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RIP does not resdistribute own static route to other router on the same L2 network.

Takuro Moriyama
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Expert,

I have a question.

This case is My RIP Lab's question.

Refer to the attacment NW diagram.

My RIP Lab are 4 rip routers.
They are enabled rip version2 and no auto-summary command.
And The R2 router is enabled redistribute static function to RIP v2 domain.
The R2 router is configured a static route "172.16.0.0/16 nexthop R1".
But R2 does not redistribute it to other routers. (R3 and R4).

I think that R2,R1,R3 and R4 are connected on the same L2 network.
So, The R2 router does not redistribute own static route ?

Please give me some advice.

Best regards,
takuro.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

Based on your design, each router has 1 interface RIP enabled. 

The subnet you're trying to redistribute from R2 is the same as R1 is announcing. 

RIPv2 has a prevention loop called split-horizon, like all distance vector protocol.

Split Horizon goal: RIPv2 will not send updates back out of the interface on which they were received .

If this is a lab, and ONLY for testing, you can deactivate split-horizon, but be careful you'll probably face a loop.

Thanks 

PS: Please don't forget to rate and mark as correct answer if this solved your issue 

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

Based on your design, each router has 1 interface RIP enabled. 

The subnet you're trying to redistribute from R2 is the same as R1 is announcing. 

RIPv2 has a prevention loop called split-horizon, like all distance vector protocol.

Split Horizon goal: RIPv2 will not send updates back out of the interface on which they were received .

If this is a lab, and ONLY for testing, you can deactivate split-horizon, but be careful you'll probably face a loop.

Thanks 

PS: Please don't forget to rate and mark as correct answer if this solved your issue 

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

Dear supportlan,

Thank you for your advice.
Thanks to you I was able to understand that.
I agree with you.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Best ragards,
takuro.

You're very welcome 

Thanks
Francesco

David_Che
Level 1
Level 1
  • Even R2 redistribute static route into RIPv2, R3 and R4 will still prefer route 172.16.0.0/16 from R1 as its HOP=0 rather than from R2 with HOP=3. 
  • Configuring this static route on R2 can not perform route backup for R2, R3, R4. Wether R1's 10.255.0.1 or 172.16.0.0/16 is disconnected, R2/R3/R4 will lose connection with 172.16.0.0/16.

Dear David_Che,

Thank you for your advice.
Thanks to you I was able to understand that.
Thank you in advance for your help.

Best ragards,
takuro.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card