Views
Helpful
Replies

ROAS Routing

entechnico
Level 1
Level 1

Hey There, 

So I have created another ROAS setup (using packet tracerr) but this time I have a router connected to a 3560 SW, that is in turn connected to a 2960 SW.

I have created the sub-IF on the router and have set up the links between devices as trunks. 

2 Vlans were created on switches and then 2 computers hanging off each vlan, with the interfaces on the SW that the PCs are connected to in the correct vlan.

QUESTION:

When I use Gig IFs on the switches and set up the trunks it will route and the 2 computers, on different vlans, can reach each other.

BUT, when I change the interfaces to FA interfaces, set up the trunks then the pcs cannot reach each other. 

with the FA interfaces, I even cannot ping from the 3560 to the router.....

Screen Shot 2020-11-24 at 12.27.08 pm.png

9 Replies 9

entechnico
Level 1
Level 1

This is the router not reaching the pc on the left top when FE IFs are used.  I have set up trunks on the FA IFs and checked the encap is correct.  These devices don't seem to have ISL so dot1Q is default.

Screen Shot 2020-11-24 at 12.32.33 pm.png

When I do the same on the Gig IFs, connect them together and create trunks then it works.... 

Screen Shot 2020-11-24 at 12.29.29 pm.png

Hello,

could be a quirk in Packet Tracer. Post the zipped project (.pkt) file...

the interfaces must be trunk between Switch and ROAS or between Switches;

Interface to PCs should be vlan access mode and in correct vlan id; also, you should have vlan ids in database.

you can attach PT file here (must be in a zip format)

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

entechnico
Level 1
Level 1

I have attached the PKT file.  Sorry that it is messy.  

There is a ROAS setup that is working off router R2-NV INT GI0/1

The setup in question is off AK-R1 off INT g0/0

also wondering, I assume that I cannot create sub-IFs off a routers switch module (Fa0/3/0 - 3)

Sorry total beginner, but the router barks at me when I try to do sub-IF commands off that IF

Hello,

what are the username/password combinations for your routers ?

Your 2911 router has three GigabitEthernet interfaces that are capable of layer 3 routing. You have inserted an 'HWIC-4ESW' module, these are FastEthernet switchports and layer 2 only. You cannot use these interfaces for routing and/or creating subinterfaces.

Hey!

Sorry I forgot to mention that. 

Its UN: bob and PW: cisco

Cool cool thanks for that.  I figured that It has to be a Gi on the router.

Sorry I'm like ground-level learning haha

Hello,

in Packet Tracer, the 2800 and 2600 routers have 'working' FastEthernet interfaces. Anything higher has Gigabit only.

Glad that you got it figured out. Happy learning !

Cool thanks bro.

The question was mostly once I connect the switches through fa interfaces to the router gig interface then the ROAS does not work. 

It does work when I connect the switches to the routers gig interface with their gig interfaces. 

Is it that all the interfaces from the switch needs to be gig interfaces or will ROAS still work if the router is connected to the switches fa INT through its gig int that has sub interfaces setup.

sorry for the confusion...

Hello,

my bad, I misunderstood you. I just did some testing with different switches in Packet Tracer, and indeed, a FastEthernet port on the switches connected to a GigabitEthernet port on a router does not work.

Packet Tracer does not feature 'real' devices, and has a lot of quirks. On real switches, you can connect FastEthernet interfaces on switches to GigabitEthernet ports on routers, and it works.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card