cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

rommon upgrade throws an error capsule.bin does not exist!

melisa87
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

I have cisco1111 router with IOS XE 17.09.04a and ROM 17.5(1r). I would like to downgrade both IOS and rommon to a version 16. Using following command I am getting an error below:

boot system flash:c1100-universalk9.16.12.05.SPA.bin
upgrade rom-monitor filename bootflash:C1100-rommon-1612-1r-SPA.pkg all

Upgrade rom-monitor

Target copying rom-monitor image file

Warning - Didn't find capsule file.

Booted : 1
Selected : 1
Reset Reason: 0

ERROR: File //tmp/rommon_upgrade/capsule.bin does not exist! Upgrade aborted

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Melisa

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What is the business case for downgrading to 16.12.5?

17.9.4a is a fixed release to address the critical vulnerability that is currently being aggressively exploited in the wild:  Multiple Vulnerabilities in Cisco IOS XE Software Web UI Feature.  16.12.5 is vulnerable.  

When the router first came, what firmware did it come with?  Is it 16.12.X (or earlier) or 17.X.X?  If the router came with 17.X.X, it may not be possible to downgrade to 16.X.X.

melisa87
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Leo,

Thanks for the answer. I wanted to downgrade to 16.12.5 in order to test Zero Touch Provisioning.  ZTP worked with 17.X.X but it did not work with 16.12.5 under the same configuration. We have some routers with 16.12, 16.6 and 16.9 and we wanted to achieve automatic vlan1/dhcp configuration using ZTP in order to pull software upgrade scripts from the network.  My test router came first with 16.X.X version but I do not know which exactly as more colleagues have used it for tests before.

Regards,

Melisa

The ROMMON will need to be manually downgraded. 

And this is something I do not recommend.

Hello,

have a look at the field notice below. Although it should not affect you, since you are running ROMMON 17.5 and not 17.6, maybe it is related:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/field-notices/723/fn72304.html

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card