cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Route Reflector

saishreevj
Level 1
Level 1

Do we need to consider both Route Reflectors and Next Hop self while Planning for IBGP Peerings?

19 Replies 19

Hi @Harold Ritter thanks for your information. I am also tring to modify the refelected route's local-preference on RR outgoing direction, now I know that RR outgoing NEXT_HOP, AS_PATH, LOCAL_PREF and MED modification has been ignored due to the loop prevention. Here I have a question, what if I modify the attribute on the RR incoming direction, will it also potentially cause a loop (refer to the attached diagram, it seems that modify on the incoming or outgoing has the same effect to the whole network)? Should we avoid any route attribute modification on RR for loop prevention consideration?

what want to achieve here? why looking for modify ? is RRC is EBGP also?

Yes you can, next-hop-self don't make loop since the RR add originate router to prefix learn from client and this prevent loop inside iBGP with RR.

Hello

@MHM Cisco World wrote:

Yes you can, next-hop-self don't make loop since the RR add originate router to prefix learn from client and this prevent loop inside iBGP with RR.

The loop prevention in RR design as far as I understand is performed by the Cluster-list/originator id's, Originator id prevent loops within its as single cluster and a cluster id it works when you have multiple RR, just like the path sequence verification in the AS Path, So if a router see its own cluster id in any bgp update then its discarded.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

fgdlgjdlkgj.png

As I know non-client client and RR can make eBGP with outer AS.

https://blog.ipspace.net/2014/04/changes-in-ibgp-next-hop-processing.html

this article talk a little about neighbor next-hop-self all <- which use specifically for RR.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card