cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Router cannot find boot image

fsebera
Level 4
Level 4

Our Cisco 881G soho router cannot find its' IOS image after enabling the global command secure boot-image.

R# dir flash:

-- IOS image listed along with all the other files in flash- This is normal and the way it is suppose to function.

conf t

secure boot-image

end

wr

R# dir flash:

-- no IOS image found but all other files remain -This is normal and the way it is suppose to function.

R# Perform a power reset

cannot find image

rommon 1 >

rommon 1 > i

cannot find image

rommon 2  > boot

cannot find image

rommon 3 > boot flash:<correct IOS image name>

cannot find image

rommon 4 >

confreg 0x2142

reset

cannot find image

rommon 1 >

rommon 1> i

cannot find image

ANY thoughts?

Thanks

Frank

18 Replies 18

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Frank,

I am glad you got it running. Regarding the tftpdnld - yes, it does erase the FLASH but remember that the configuration file is located in NVRAM on routers, and so, erasing the FLASH should not remove the startup-config. Also, the tftpdnld has a parameter that commands it to just download the IOS into RAM and start it from there, without erasing and rewriting the FLASH.

Nevertheless, now you have a running router and two ways to resurrect it Keep up the good work!

Best regards,

Peter

" remember that the configuration file is located in NVRAM on routers,"

Normally, but in this case my manager insisted on helping.

I only saved the config after I enabled the secure mode. Many distractions so I never saved (wr) I only copied run flash:config8-2010. Then my manager pulled the plug on the router trying to connect a pc. Long story short, my only copy of my config was in flash.

As far as the tftpdnld, the -r option must be used to copy IOS into DRAM else everything on the flash is erased.

I didn't see this -r option then but now after recovery and the stress level has dropped, the -r option is clear as day.

Tks again

Frank

I know..... Managers you can't live with them and you can live without them.....

Mike

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Thanks to asaraza for providing the resolution (I have rated).

I did not understood the real nature of the problem, my apologies.

I was thinking it was a simple complain about the command not working rather than a serious boot failure matter.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card