cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Router is showing Garbage Values

VIKASKAWADE
Level 1
Level 1

my cisco 2611 series router is showing garbage value at start up and not allowing me to enter in Romon mode I

check the bitrate in console .it is  9600/8N till then i am unable to start the router Can you tell me how to change configuration register  value without entering in rommon mode

6 Replies 6

garapoglou
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

If you can still access CLI, you can enter the privileged mode, then the global configuration mode and change the configuration register:

Router> en

Router# conf t

Router(config)# config-register

Router(config)# end

Router# reload

To verify the change type the "sh ver" command.

Best regards,

Giorgos

Vikas says in his original post:"i am unable to start the router". So I assume that the router is not booting and that he can not get into privilege mode.

The description of producing garbage characters is usually a symptom of a mismatch between the speed setting of the router and of the terminal emulator connected to the console port. In my experience the way to solve this is to systimatically chyange the speed setting of the terminal emulator. Start at the low speed of 1200, and try the increasing speeds of 2400, 4800, etc up to the maximum speed supported by your router.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Agreed, but he asked how to change the configuration register from the CLI.

In addition he mentioned the problem occurs during startup, so I guessed the device is somehow working.

Seems like more information is needed by Vikas.

Best regards,

Giorgos

Hello Sir

I am Unable to start a router it is showing garbage value at startup

and unable to start the Cisco 2611 router in Cli or Rommon mode help

me

Giorgos

The original post was not clear on the details and if you assume that he has access to the CLI then your answer is the correct one.

Vikas

Are you telling us that the router does not boot and that the interfaces do not come active at all?

Your 2611 should have an AUX port. Can you connect to that port and if so do you get any output on the AUX port?

If the interfaces would come active you might be able to telnet or SSH or HTTP to the router and get access. But if the interfaces do not come active and if you can not access the AUX port then the only alternative that I see is to try to match the speed setting of the terminal emulator to the speed of the console port (currently unknown but almost certainly not 9600). Be aware that with some terminal emulators (especially Hyperterm) you may need to stop and re-start the connection to pick up the change in speed.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thank you both for clarifying this, Vikas and Richard.

I would also try changing the connection speed of the terminal emulation utility and see what happens. If it wouldn't solve the problem, I'd try another emulation utility, just in case.

Best regards,

Giorgos

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card