Views
Helpful
Replies

Router Recommendation Please .....

manish arora
Level 6
Level 6

Hi,

I have a client with a very different request ( Client is Cash strapped ) , They need to place a Router at the remote site , the router will be stub with just one internet connection coming into it , then a Gre Tunnel sending the traffic to a specific site. Now the traffic getting into the router will be normal but then will be forwarded into the Gre Tunnel so as complete the connection.( one way of Gre encapsulation )

Now, I need to recommend a Router that can do 80-100 mbps throughput without running high CPU or crashing.

Please suggest a router not that expensive to do the Job without high CPU.

Thanks

Manish

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

I've attached the performance datasheet.

View solution in original post

I think it is important to notice that the performance datasheet uses 64K for the measurements.

This means that this is the worst possible case when it comes to bare routing.

Now we are getting in to a discussion on what is "enough" or "right for this solution".

if you buy a 3900 you will be shure that it is more than enough to handle any situation you are to encounter.

and that is from a big providers point ov view neccesary. from that perspective you can not underdeliver no matter what the customer sends into the network. As a service provider you do not know if this is 64byte mini computer traffic or if there will only be large file transfers of 1500 bytes each always.

However from a small companys point of view you have to know how the router will be able to do with the traffic.

if you instead of 64 bit packets use a mixed packet size with an average size of about 350 the throughput will change.

fx the 2901 will with 64byte packets

327 000 x 64 x 8 = 167 Mbps

and with 350byte packets

327 000 x 350 x 8 = 915 Mbps

That said I am not 100% sure that one can calculate an average packetsize like this.

But that is what I have used for a while when trying to determine wich router is right for me.

its easy to just buy the biggest you can afford but the money might be tight for the customer and when you buy a bigger router then you have to buy a more expensive smartnet and so on.

There is another to thinkabout and that is if there is need for any other things like dual powersupplies.

Good luck

HTH

Thanks Collin.  The 3945 is probably the closest candidate at 502 mbps clean (un-encrypted and half duplex).

10 Replies 10

manish arora
Level 6
Level 6

anyone ??????

Hi

This is realy not my forte, but I would take a look at 1941 routers.

or you can wait for the guys who realy know this.

Good luck

HTH

The 1941 can handle 153.08Mbps of throughput. CPU utilization is usually caused more by services & configuration than by pure throughput.

Thanks for your Replies, Only question that I have now with the Router encapsulating all the traffic ( only gre encapsulation -- NO DECAP/NO IPSEC) , what would be the best choise for a router that can support upto 80-100 mbps ( Should be rack mountable also). Can 2901 or 2911 do this very easily ,

Manish

Darn it.  The Portable Product Sheet link is broken.  I'm not sure if the figures are correct but I'd be looking for a 3900 series.  I don't have the figures here with me but if the 3800 can do 256 mbps (if memory serves me correct) that's only UNENCRYPTED and HALF DUPLEX.  Rule of thumb is to divide this figure by 4 and it'll give you the capacity of your requirement.

I've attached the performance datasheet.

I think it is important to notice that the performance datasheet uses 64K for the measurements.

This means that this is the worst possible case when it comes to bare routing.

Now we are getting in to a discussion on what is "enough" or "right for this solution".

if you buy a 3900 you will be shure that it is more than enough to handle any situation you are to encounter.

and that is from a big providers point ov view neccesary. from that perspective you can not underdeliver no matter what the customer sends into the network. As a service provider you do not know if this is 64byte mini computer traffic or if there will only be large file transfers of 1500 bytes each always.

However from a small companys point of view you have to know how the router will be able to do with the traffic.

if you instead of 64 bit packets use a mixed packet size with an average size of about 350 the throughput will change.

fx the 2901 will with 64byte packets

327 000 x 64 x 8 = 167 Mbps

and with 350byte packets

327 000 x 350 x 8 = 915 Mbps

That said I am not 100% sure that one can calculate an average packetsize like this.

But that is what I have used for a while when trying to determine wich router is right for me.

its easy to just buy the biggest you can afford but the money might be tight for the customer and when you buy a bigger router then you have to buy a more expensive smartnet and so on.

There is another to thinkabout and that is if there is need for any other things like dual powersupplies.

Good luck

HTH

Thanks Collin.  The 3945 is probably the closest candidate at 502 mbps clean (un-encrypted and half duplex).

Thanks for all your help and replies, very usefull sheet collins . I am either going with 2911 ( Cost factor ) or with a quad core server with linux which I can turn into a normal router doing that job, but in the last it's going to be a customer choice which I think is going to be more towards a server as he can reuse it whereas 2911 will be just sitting there after the project ends in 3-6 months.

Anyways Thanks you very much for all your answers , very helpful.

Manish

after the project ends in 3-6 months.

Errrr ... you could borrow a "demo" unit. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card