cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

router recommendation

paul amaral
Level 4
Level 4

Hi im looking for a router that will do UNLIMITED data encryption and can handle up to 300 megs. I looked at the 3900 series and they are too expensive and i will need the HSEC security license. I'm looking for someone to recommend something that is maybe end of life that meets my needs as the customer im working with will not be able to afford multiple 3900.

TIA, Paul

5 Replies 5

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

The only EoL equipment that might meet your requirements would be a 7200 with a (single/dual) crypto (VAM) card.

Joseph, as always thanks for the suggestion, I have the 7200 in mind also. Unless anyone else can recommend something else.

thanks, Paul

I think i nailed it down to the cisco 6503 with the  WS-SVC-IPSEC-1 VPN module. It's EOL but its cheap all over the internet and doesn't have the encryption restriction that come with the new ios 15.

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

6500 encryption certainly provides raw performance but they tend to be weak if you need other WAN features.  Also, that module might not support AES.

correct no AES, I'm using 3DES anyway. however you can't beat the performance for the price.

High performance-Using the latest in encryption hardware acceleration technology, each Cisco IPSec VPNSM can deliver up to 1.9 Gbps of Triple Data Encryption Standard (3DES) traffic at large packet sizes (more than 500 bytes) and 1.6 Gbps of 3DES traffic at average packet sizes as defined by internet mix traffic (IMIX).

Scalability-The Cisco IPSec VPNSM can terminate up to 8000 site-to-site or remote-access IPSec tunnels simultaneously and can establish those tunnels at up to 65 new tunnels per second. Furthermore, Dynamic Multipoint VPN (DMVPN) enables a zero-touch, fully dynamic deployment of partial or full-mesh IPSec VPNs over a hub-and-spoke topology.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card