cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Router/Switch/Network Recommendation Please

jkreisman
Level 1
Level 1

I will have an Executive Suite with 20 office.  I need a recommendation for the following.

Overview

1. We will provide internet access to each one man office. 
  2. Each person renting an office will responsible for providing their own router/wireless router and the systems behind the router in their office.
  3. They may use voice over IP (ACN, RingCentral, Vontage,...) or skype.
  4. We have a networked fax/copier.
  5. We will have a Lorex camera system and 8 cameras to monitor the office remotely.
  6. We will have internet speed of 15 down and 3 up using cox cable
  7. We will have two conference rooms.

What We Want

1. We want to keep it real simple, easy to manage, and inexpensive as we do not need a cadilac, just reliability once configured.  We want to set and forget it.
  2. Our thought is one vlan for each office and the camera system and one public vlan for the copier so everyone can access it.
  3. I need a recommendation on the configuration and the cisco and switch to use.
  4. We would like to make use of DHCP to the office routers if possible verses static IPs.
  5. On the conference rooms, we are thinking of providing internet access to two other vlans and dhcp, otherwise they will use wireless to their office router.
  6. We do not have to use the latest equipment and are ok with older cisco models.

I apprecaite any feed back on my thoughts or your recommendation on a configuration, and cisco equipment based on the above information.

Jim K

4 Replies 4

Jeff Van Houten
Level 5
Level 5

If you want to keep the traffic segregated but allow access to a common subnet for certain things, you need to look into private vlan.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Hi,

If I was a potential client for this shared Suite then my most important criteria for signing a lease is whether you can supply me with a secure network connection to my office. VLANs are not very secure.

With this in mind there a couple of options:

- Install a small ASA firewall and create separate DMZ's for each client.

- Deploy a secure router with a secure image capabale of supporting a Zone Based firewall. Assign different zones to different offices.

- Deploy a switch capable of supporting VRF lite. Assign each client a different VRF instance.

Of the options listed above the first one is probably the cheapest and most secure.

You also need to consider if you are filtering the Internet connection for adult content, gambling sites, gaming etc. If so you will need a proxy server.

Cheers

Sean

If each person has a router inside their office which they are responsible, how is their data at risk if they are on a vlan?

I guess my biggest concern is how to get the DHCP to flow to the the office routers?

What cisco swith and router would one recommend?

Thanks, Jim

If each person has a router inside their office which they are responsible, how is their data at risk if they are on a vlan? 

I guess my biggest concern is how to get the DHCP to flow to the the office routers?

Keep it nice and simple, if each executive suite will provide their own routers then the routers will provide their own DHCP scope.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card