Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing beginner: Help

Hello, I'm very new to routing. I designed 2 different networks in packet tracer and they work individually, but I'm having trouble with the connection between the two. As you can see on the screenshot, the connection between the switch in network 1 can't connect to the router 1 in network 1. I need to make 4 more networks connected to these two, but that's a problem for later. I'm sure I can fix this problem by myself and I can't find anything on the internet that could help either. Please forgive my ignorance and any help would be appreciated.

My plan:

NETWORK 1 = 
1 router 2811, 1 switch 2960, 1 access point PT-N, 1 server, 2 PC's,1 laptop (wirelessly connected).

IP CONFIG:
Network id: 192.168.1.0
Subnet address: 255.255.255.192

Gateway: 192.168.1.62
DNS: 8.8.8.8
DHCP Server IP: 192.168.1.60

NETWORK 3 = 
1 router 2811, 3 servers.

IP CONFIG:

Netwerk id: 8.8.8.0
Subnet adres : 255.255.255.0

Gateway : 8.8.8.1

DNS : 8.8.8.8

ROUTE CONFIG = 

Netwerk id: 8.8.8.0

Wildcard: 0.0.0.255

Area:10

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

As Rick correctly notes, i.e. you only need area zero for a multi-area OSPF topology. However, whether it's always good to start with area zero, that's possibly more of a "grey" area. Much depends on how you see your OSPF topology growing. Resetting what OSPF area is being used can be somewhat of a chore.

Of course, you're just looking to solve your immediate problem, but with routing design, often there's many subtle considerations that are difficult to "get right" especially when dealing for a possible future.

In other words be prepared for understanding the truth of the old adage "you don't know what you don't know" when it comes to the time you start doing network design "for real".

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Martin L
VIP
VIP

you can attach your PT file here but it must be in zip format; so, zip it first

For 2 routers to exchange routes, they must share the link. aka be on the same network.

also, in case of OSPF, there must be area 0.  aka main area to which all other areas connect to and go thru it.

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

One clarification about the good advice that @Martin L provides. If OSPF has only a single area there is no requirement that it must be area zero. It is perfectly all right to configure OSPF with area 55 if that is the only area. When there is more than one area then OSPF does require that there be an area zero and that other OSPF areas connect through it. It is probably good advice to start with area zero when you first configure OSPF but it is not a requirement.

HTH

Rick

As Rick correctly notes, i.e. you only need area zero for a multi-area OSPF topology. However, whether it's always good to start with area zero, that's possibly more of a "grey" area. Much depends on how you see your OSPF topology growing. Resetting what OSPF area is being used can be somewhat of a chore.

Of course, you're just looking to solve your immediate problem, but with routing design, often there's many subtle considerations that are difficult to "get right" especially when dealing for a possible future.

In other words be prepared for understanding the truth of the old adage "you don't know what you don't know" when it comes to the time you start doing network design "for real".

Martin L
VIP
VIP

OSPF routers that are on the same network/subnet must be in the same area to exchange routes. also, hello/dead timers and network types must match.  based on attached pt file, connect R4 and R5 and put them on the same subnet in the Area 0.  Connect R4 and R3 and put those interfaces in Area 2. Similarly, R5 and R2 in area 3 and R1 in area 1.  for this to work R4 and R5 must be in area 0. 

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card