cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing between built-in interfaces

bonedaddy76
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to figure out exactly what I need to buy to to connect to an ISP's fiber switch. We need to install a router between the fiber switch and our own core switch to be able to access the IP's allocated to the property. We installed a 1700 with the below config, but we want to purchase a brand new router and we were looking towards possibly the 1921 if the budget allows. Our distributor is telling us that we need to purchase an Ethernet WIC also, but if the router already has 2 ethernet interfaces, why do we need to purchase more hardware? I am a little out of the loop with routers at the moment, so I am not sure if they correct or not, just looking to see if this is the case and if so, why?

Thanks in advance.

ip subnet-zero

!

!

no ip domain lookup

ip name-server d.d.d.d

ip name-server d.d.d.d

!

!

!

!

!

interface Ethernet0/0

ip address x.x.x.x 255.255.255.248

full-duplex

!

interface FastEthernet0/0

ip address y.y.y.y 255.255.255.252

speed 100

full-duplex

!

ip classless

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 g.g.g.g

no ip http server

!

!

5 Replies 5

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If they're giving you an ethernet handoff, I wouldn't see why you'd need another module. The only thing that I could see is that your e0/0 is limited to 10Mb and they may be suggesting it based off of that. The 1921 surely has what you'll need without purchasing more equipment.

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

I figured this may be the case, I just wanted to get some feedback here. They want to sell us a HWIC-2FE which costs more than the router itself. Most of my experience with routers has been with connections to T1's and I can understand the need for a WIC card there, I just didn't know if maybe you HAD to have a WIC card installed or the router wouldn't route for some odd reason.

There's no benefit to getting another module vs using the onboard interfaces unless you need 3 interfaces for some reason. I'd have them explain the reason that you need it and then post back up here. I can't see a good reason now...

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Working on their reason now and if there is anything to report, I will post it up here.

I agree with John that unless there is something in their environment that is not mentioned in your description then I see no reason to purchase an Ethernet WIC. I am wondering if they are reacting to the config of your current implementation which has a 10 M and a 100 M interface and they want two high speed interfaces. But that is not an issue on the 1900 series routers. Both of the builtin interfaces are high speed.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card