Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing during a Failure in a Dual Carrier Managed MPLS Solution

vdadlaney
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I am looking to deploy a dual carrier managed mpls solution and have been working on failure scenarios to ensure maximum redundancy and resiliency. If I have 2 remote sites that connect into both carrier clouds and the following occurs

1. Site 1 loses its connection to Carrier 1

2. Site 2 loses its connection to Carrier 2

How will Site 1 connect to Site 2 directly in this scenario. I can think of 2 ways to achieve this

1. Get both the carriers to interconnect with each other ( I know some carriers used to do this in the initial days however all the carriers we looked into are not providing this service so its out of the question)

2. Use a Major site as a Transit for such failures however in this case the performance would be sub-optimal since traffic would hvae to flow through the transit site to each of the remotes.

I would love to hear any other suggestions or methods to overcome such a scenario and also hear your thoughts on a Dual Carrier Solution. Thx for your help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Vdadlaney,

>> 2. Use a Major site as a Transit for such failures however in this case the performance would be sub-optimal since traffic would hvae to flow through the transit site to each of the remotes.

I would use this solution, suboptimal path will be used only during failure and you keep control on how the two clouds exchange routing information.

This is an important advantage, asking to the service providers to join the two VPNs for you moves control to somebody else.

Also keeping the two clouds separated with no contact between the two providers helps in having indipendency if one has a trouble sending wrong routing information it will not be able to influence the other service provider.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Vdadlaney,

>> 2. Use a Major site as a Transit for such failures however in this case the performance would be sub-optimal since traffic would hvae to flow through the transit site to each of the remotes.

I would use this solution, suboptimal path will be used only during failure and you keep control on how the two clouds exchange routing information.

This is an important advantage, asking to the service providers to join the two VPNs for you moves control to somebody else.

Also keeping the two clouds separated with no contact between the two providers helps in having indipendency if one has a trouble sending wrong routing information it will not be able to influence the other service provider.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card