Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing from interface to VLAN

OliverDarvall
Level 1
Level 1

Guys,

I have a reasonably simple setup in which our two Offices are connected via an MPLS network. Then from Office 2 we have lots of VPN (Easy VPN) connections to remote sites. Now Office 1 can not connect (ping or otherwise) to any of the Remote Site(s). When I do a tracert from any Office 1 PC it gets to 192.168.2.2 on our Core switch at Office 2, from there onwards the tracert times out. Basically all that should happen is that the traffic should be routed from FA3/48 to VLAN111 , but the traffic does not make that jump.

When you do "show ip route remote_site_ip" from our Core for instance it does know the EIGRP route to the remote site. The Core switch can ping the remote sites, it can traceroute to the remote sites, but the traffic just does not want to jump from FA3/48 to VLAN 111.

Any ideas ?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Based on your description of the symptom I would guess that the remote sites do not have a route for the network at Office 1. Can you check the routing table at the remote sites for any entry that would get them to the network of Office 1?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

Hello

I aggree with richard, may be its a missing route

"When you do "show ip route remote_site_ip" from our Core for instance it does know the EIGRP route to the remote site. The Core switch can ping the remote sites, it can traceroute to the remote sites, but the traffic just does not want to jump from FA3/48 to VLAN 111"

your icmp connectivity test which is successful from the core is sourced from what interface?

Do you have auto summerisation enabled on the eigrp process? Is the interface/subnet 192.168.2.0 being advertised towards office2

res

Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Based on your description of the symptom I would guess that the remote sites do not have a route for the network at Office 1. Can you check the routing table at the remote sites for any entry that would get them to the network of Office 1?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hello

I aggree with richard, may be its a missing route

"When you do "show ip route remote_site_ip" from our Core for instance it does know the EIGRP route to the remote site. The Core switch can ping the remote sites, it can traceroute to the remote sites, but the traffic just does not want to jump from FA3/48 to VLAN 111"

your icmp connectivity test which is successful from the core is sourced from what interface?

Do you have auto summerisation enabled on the eigrp process? Is the interface/subnet 192.168.2.0 being advertised towards office2

res

Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Thanks Richard & Paul. Your questions guided me to solve the problem. Our Office 1 sites were advertised as the default route only. I changed the EIGRP to advertise the individual routes which then properly propagated through all the way to our VPN routers. 

I am glad that you were able to solve your problem and that our suggestions did help to guide you to find the solution. Thank you for using the rating system to mark this question as answered. That will help to identify for other readers of the forum that helpful information is found in this thread.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card