cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing Internet traffic method

tedauction
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, we have a router connected to our WAN via BGP and we receive all advertised LAN routes via this BGP link. 

So we currently direct all BGP routes in addition to 0.0.0.0 out this interface.

Now we want to establish a separate interface on this router to forward Internet only traffic.

The problem is that we cannot simply direct 0.0.0.0 traffic out this interface because some of our LAN routes are not advertised via BGP so doing this would kill those unadvertised LAN routes.

Is there a better way to route Internet bound traffic ? i.e. set up inverse static routes for RFC 1918 to point to the Internet e.g. !10.0.0.0/8 and !172.16.0.0 etc.

Thanks for any information.

2 Replies 2

"

Hello, we have a router connected to our WAN via BGP and we receive all advertised LAN routes via this BGP link.

So we currently direct all BGP routes in addition to 0.0.0.0 out this interface.

"

Its bit confusing , can you post a network diagram marking where you have BGP.

??If you are using BGP to receive your LAN address between two routers

Please do not hesitate to click the STAR button if you are satisfied with my answer.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Yes, if you're using private addresses (internally), routing to those (as an aggregate/summary) might work for you. Or, since you mention you have a WAN (Internet) BGP connection, taking the full Internet route table might be another option, or (perhaps) using policy routing such that traffic that enters the Internet port "defaults" to a LAN port and the converse, i.e. policy routing traffic that enters a LAN port, or ports) "defaults" to the WAN port.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card