cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing on a NM-16ESW module

HYE WILSON
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 3745 router that connects to remote branches via point to point T1s. I want to replace P2P with 10/100 Ethernet. 2 FE ports on board are being used. I want to add a NM-16ESW module to provide additional Ethernet connections.

My question is "can I configure each port on the NM-16ESW module as a routed port so that I can connect each remote site to the FE port on the switch module?" The way I read, I should be able to do this using SVI. Can anyone confirm this?

I greatly appreciate your response.

Thanks in advance.

H. Wilson.

5 Replies 5

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

Howdy,

The way I would do this is to configure a separate VLAN for each port (using 'switchport access vlan') and then configure a separate SVI (interface vlanx) for each VLAN e.g.

interface fast0/0/0

switchport access vlan 100

interface fast0/0/1

switchport access vlan 101

interface fast0/0/2

switchport access vlan 102

interface fast0/0/3

switchport access vlan 103

!

interface vlan100

ip address....

interface vlan101

ip address....

interface vlan102

ip address....

interface vlan103

ip address....

Hope that helps - pls rate posts that help.

Regards,

Paresh

Thanks Paresh. One additional question. I am assuming that when I do this I need to add vlan subnets in my routing protocol. For example, let's say the vlan100 is in 172.100.x.x network and I use rip routing protocol. So I should have

router rip

network 172.100.x.x

Is it correct?

Thanks for your help in advance.

HYW.

Yes, you are very correct.

G'day,

That is absolutlely correct. Treat the VLAN interfaces as standard layer 3 interfaces ..therefore,just include their subnets within the network commands of all routing protocols that you wish to run.

Hope that helps - pls rate the post if it does.

Paresh

H.Wilson,

With newer IOS;es, you necessarily dont need to create vlans and then assign vlans to the ports and assign ip addresses to the vlan interfaces to get layer 3 routing on each port. You can do a "no switchport" directly under the fast E ports of the module and this command configures the switch port as a Layer 3 port. Take a look at this FAQ

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps2643/products_qanda_item09186a00802c9e7a.shtml

You can also enable routing protocols on these ports, just like you do with other interfaces.

HTH

PS: Please remember to rate helpful replies!

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card