cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing private networks without NAT Help Please!

ccollister
Level 1
Level 1

I've struggled with this problem before and never really found a good solution and it's driving me crazy. The basic problem is how do I get multiple private networks out onto my public IP without natting everything? I'm setting up a cisco lab and want to be able to access it via the public internet remotely. My main problem is that I can't run a hardline to the lab location so I have to use wireless. The only gear I currently have for this is an old windows machine--I installed a NIC and a wireless card and activated routing and remote access. Everything is working except the cisco lab which is on a different private network can't reach the public. Everything that's being natted on the linksys gateway to the cable provider can get to the outside because it's being natted. How can I get the lab network out to the net without making it a part of the linksys' nat subnet? I had assumed since requests from the lab were being sent through the 2003 machine which is on the natted network, that those packets from the lab would also be natted but I don't think that's the case since it's originating from a different network. I have connectivity all through the internal network--just can't get the other network to the outside. I've attached a topology jpg so you can see everything that's configured. I appreciate any help you can provide. Thanks!!

3 Replies 3

nathan.haley
Level 1
Level 1

Do you have a public address?

You could setup a easyvpn connection. Once connected you would be able to access local networks not accessible from the internet. Another idea would be to portforward to a device posibly terminal server if you have one. That way you can access all devices in the event you loose local conectivity on the lab.

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Craig,

I think that with a little of investigation on the linksys you should be able to add a static route pointing to the windows2003 machine for net 192.168.2.0/24 and you can add this net in the NAT config so that it is translated as happens for the local lab.

Or it could be enough to reach the windows 2003 with remote desktop and then to access the lab from the windows 2003 machine by adding static routes for the lab management subnet.

Without NAT you would need some form of tunneling from the windows 2003 machine, for example PPTP but I think the previuos options are easier to setup.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thanks--I had considered using remote access on the '03 box but I like the idea of expanding the nat range on the linksys so everything will be covered. I'll give that a shot.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card