Views
Helpful
Replies

routing protocol over mpls

b.pinvidic
Level 1
Level 1

Hi  all, 

i have to implement a network customer over a vpls provider  ( 60 site L2  any to any).

which protocol for this design ? eigrp, ospf or bgp with advantage or inconvenient?

thanks,

7 Replies 7

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If this is to be a layer 2 network for 60 sites with any to any connectivity then you can choose which ever routing protocol you wish since the provider will not be participating in the routing protocol. BGP would be at the bottom of my list for this for several reasons, one of which is that BGP does not do dynamic neighbor discovery and I would not want to manually configure 59 neighbors on each of 60 routers.

Either OSPF or EIGRP could be good choices. If we knew more about this network it might be possible to favor one or the other. For OSPF it seems likely that you would have a single area and some people might be concerned about 60 peers in a single area. But I think it could be appealing that most routers would go through full adjacency with only two peers where with EIGRP each router would negotiate neighbor relationship with 59 neighbors. Another consideration might be what the topology of the sites is like. If each site has several subnets and if the subnets fall into summarizable ranges then EIGRP might be preferred since it enables summarization from each of the routers which reduces the complexity of the routing table on each neighbor.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

thank for your response ,

this design concern 3 or 4 central site with 200-500 mb/s and this other sites with 20 mb/s.

the model hub / spoke model is not desired by the customer.

How many router(neigbor)  eigrp or osfp possible on a provider vlan  ,multicast limit, bandwidh ?

If this network has layer 2 connectivity for around 60 devices any to any then it certainly will not look like hub and spoke.

If you are concerned about bandwidth at the small sites being used for routing updates then one feature in EIGRP that would be attractive is the feature that EIGRP limits the bandwidth that it will use for routing protocol traffic. By default it limits to 50% of the interface bandwidth and that is configurable if you want to be even more conservative.

Another thought comparing the routing protocols is that OSPF with its periodic data base refresh may use more bandwidth than EIGRP which does not do a periodic refresh.

You have not told us what equipment you plan to use for this network. There are many Cisco routers and switches which are quite capable of maintaining 60 routing protocol peers for either OSPF or for EIGRP.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

ASR 1000 in central sites and isr G2 2911 in other remotes sites.

is the IWAN solution alos applicable  with this architecture?

I would think that ASR1000 in central site and 2911 in remote sites would certainly handle 60 peers for either EIGRP or OSPF.

If the sites have only a single way of accessing outside networks then I am not sure that IWAN is very applicable.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

this is a mpls-vpn N3 network actually and this network could  retained for backup or more...if possible

Andrew.C11
Level 1
Level 1

yes, Richard you made a good point

-i would recommend ospf since its an industry standard and if they want to extend their network later on it may be easier..

best thing to do is, draw it up and measure scalability..

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card