cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing specific Internal Networks out a specific Internet Gateway via a MPLS Network that routes via BGP

bblairplasti
Level 1
Level 1

My Company has multiple locations on 3  continents (North America, South America and Europe).  All locations are  connected to each other via AT&T provided MPLS links and routed via BGP.  We  have a Data Center/HQ in each continent that acts as the Internet Gateway for  all sub-locations within the three respective continents.  Since the the North  American Data Center is our World HQ and the first site to go live on the  AT&T MPLS WAN, it's Internet Gateway is being advertised as the prefered  default gateway via BGP.  The Data Center locations in Europe and SA that have  Internet connections are the prefered default route to the Internet for JUST  THOSE LOCATIONS.  However, all sub-locations within Europe and SA route outbound  Internet traffic via the North American GW.  My question is......What is the  best way via BGP, to say, prefer the South American Internet GW as the default  Internet GW for only sub-locations within SA.  So basically if you are on a LAN  segment in a sub-location within SA and you want to get to the Internet, go out  the Internet GW in SA and if you are in sub-location within North America go out  the North American Gateway.  I understand BGP enough to Multihome multiple  Internet connections at each of our continental Data Centers, but can't figure  out how to route specific sub-location Networks within a continent, out that  continents Data Center's Internet Gateway instead of always coming back thru the  North American GW.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

gerald.suiza
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

here's my suggestion...you may want to discuss site of origin with AT&T if they support it. My guess is they do since their competitors do support SoO. You can set a number of possibilities with SoO. If you want regional offices to prefer an internet hub that can be done usign SoO. AT&T just needs to apply the right policies on their PE's so that the SoO hubs will be regional.

I have seen this kind of setup before and SoO works beautifully plus you have a back up route if you wish in case something goes wrong

HTH

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

I suppose all your sites are connected to a single MPLS VPN?

The default route handling is a nightmare then...

And your users are not using any proxy to connect to the Internet?

If they were, it would be easy to say them to use a proxy per region, wouldn't it?

BR,

Milan

Actually we have two MPLS Connections per location, a primary and a backup.  The AT&T one is the primary and the majority of traffic routes over it.

We actually do have Proxy Servers in Europe and SA and they work great.  But my problem is for protocols like POP3 and other Point-2-Point TCP connections that don't use the Proxy Server.

Now even though I advertise in BGP the default internet gateway at the HQ Data Centers in all three continents, the North American one always seems preferred.  I suspect I could manipulate AS-Path or Local Preference to perfer a certain default-route, but I can't seem to figure how to do that for all sub-locations within a continent so they prefer the local default-gateway of their continent's HQ Data Center.

Hi,

it depends on the number of AS numbers used on the path between your sites.

Are you peering via BGP to AT&T CE router on each site?

IMHO, you should discuss your problem with AT&T - they should know  how they configure the preferences in the backbone.

BR,

Milan

My CE Router at each site is peering with the AT&T PE Router.  Oh I could discuss this with AT&T, but that discussion will cost us probably thousands of dollars in Engineering/Consulting $'s.

There's probably only a single AS # between sites....Remember this is AT&T Private AVPN MPLS Cloud, not the Internet.  And because there's only a single AS #, multiple AS-Path prepends aren't going to help me.......

Hi,

I suppose you are talking about AT&T eVPN MPLS service?

Are you able to issue

sh ip bgp 0.0.0.0

on one of the sites?

That should show you the AS numbers  on the path to the HQ.

You are peering to one PE on each site, i.e., receiving only one default route from the PE, aren't you?

BR,

Milan

Yes I can issue that command and the result is a single best path originating from the PE Router.  I believe AT&T sends the entire routing table not just the default route because if I do a SHOW IP ROUTE BGP I see the routes from all of my CE Routers participating in BGP, not just the default route from the peering AT&T PE Router.

No, I did not mean the PE was sending only the default route to your router.

I mean: The PE router is receiving mutliple vpnv4 default routes (different route distinguishers) from other PE routers.

When imoorting them to your customer VRF routing table, the route distinguisher is removed, so it might be possible to see multiple default routes on the PE using sh ip bgp vpnv4 vrf ... command.

(See  http://www.cisco.com/application/pdf/paws/13733/mpls_vpn_basic.pdf for some details.)

But only the best (from your VRF BGP table point of view) default route is sent to your CE router via the BGP session from the PE.

So I'm afraid you need to discuss with  AT&T how they do chose the best default route in your customer VRF.

BR,

Milan

Is there a pattern to your addressing that would allow you to set a local pref based on source?

that way you could direct by geographic region to a specific exit point.

just thinking out loud.

Setting a local pref based on source is a possibility though what would the syntax be for that??  Each of my locations uses a 16 bit LAN network i.e.....10.65.x.x/16 and a 30 bit AT&T WAN network i.e..... 172.25.65.x/30.

Would it go something like:

route-map blahblah permit 10

match ip address 10

set local-preference 110

route-map blahblah deny 20

ip access-list 10 permit 10.65.0.0 0.0.255.255 any

So do you then apply this local-pref/route map to the CE router at my North American local?

It all depends on if your addressess represent your geography. if it does you will need to test wherever they might land in your network.

it does look a bit messy.

gerald.suiza
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

here's my suggestion...you may want to discuss site of origin with AT&T if they support it. My guess is they do since their competitors do support SoO. You can set a number of possibilities with SoO. If you want regional offices to prefer an internet hub that can be done usign SoO. AT&T just needs to apply the right policies on their PE's so that the SoO hubs will be regional.

I have seen this kind of setup before and SoO works beautifully plus you have a back up route if you wish in case something goes wrong

HTH

Thank you very much....After reading your email I talked to our AT&T sales rep about "site of origin" and our 3 different Internet Gateways and he said he would put in a change request to have it adjusted.  Hopefully we will be good to go after that!!

Thanks again!!

nice to hear that..:)

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card