Views
Helpful
Replies

RV082 forwarding broadcast packets

adrian.marsh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I've an RV082 connected to a 3rd party firewall. I've been asked to get broadcast packets for a particulas UDP destination port, from a VLAN on that 3rd party f/w into our corporate LAN, which hangs off of the RV082. The vlan remains only on the 3rd party f/w, and the traffic is routed to the RV082.

So I need to find out if the RV082, running in Router mode, with SPI turned off (firewall off), can forward those packets ?

I can see it says it supports multicast, but I'm guessing it can't forward broadcast?

Thanks

1 Reply 1

You can do this on the Layer 3 interface (vlan interface if configured).

The ip helper command will forward certain udp broadcasts to the destination ip address - useful for dhcp/bootp/tftp etc.

If you require a non-standard port, I would use the ip directed-broadcast command in combination with an extended access-list list to limit the feature only to the required port.  After all routers drop broadcast traffic for a reason!

Hope that helps, Ash.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card