Views
Helpful
Replies

RX Error with ixgbe Drivers 10g in RAPID STP

A.Hochmann
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

i use a Cisco Smal Business Stackable Switch SG500X-24P-K9-G5 with a Dell PowerEdge R620 Server with 10g Intel Network Cards

with ixgbe Driver under Redhat 6.3.

Under Ifconfig i get RX Errors every 1-2 Seconds.

About the Issue i found

The rx_counter in ixgbe includes the count reported by the RLEC register, which is abbreviation for
"Receive Length Error Count", the description of this register, which you can see from the 82599
datasheet states:

Number of packets with receive length errors. A length error occurs if an incoming
packet length field in the MAC header doesn't match the packet length. To enable the
receive length error count, the HLREG.RXLNGTHERREN bit needs to be set to 1b. This
registers counts all packets received, regardless of L2 filtering and receive enablement.

We have seen this to be the case with various switches where they would periodically transmit a packet
(usually STP) where the packet length in the header does not match with the actual packet length.

You can see this if you modify the driver to disable the receive length error count and capture the packet
from the switch.

If i change on the Webinterface from the Switch Spanning Tree from RAPID to Multiple STP i got no Error Anymore.

Question why RAPID STP send wrong Packets ???

Kind Regards,

A.Hochmann

0 Replies 0
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card