Views
Helpful
Replies

Same OSPF area with multiple ABR

soumenG
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Could someone verify if the topology (attached) is feasible? It involves sharing the same OSPF area 6 among multiple Backbone Routers. I'm trying to determine if I can evaluate the topology to ensure that each Backbone router has the exact same LSDB for area 6. Please confirm if this setup is achievable.

Multiarea-OSPF.JPG

Regards,

18 Replies 18

work like charm 

Screenshot (254).pngScreenshot (255).pngScreenshot (256).pngScreenshot (257).png

@MHM Cisco World wrote:

work like charm 

Screenshot (254).pngScreenshot (255).pngScreenshot (256).pngScreenshot (257).png

What does?

Hmm, regarding using GRE.  You could, but should you?

Again, what you have now, if you have partitioned nonzero areas, such should function as different nonzero areas.

If you combine partitioned areas, you could stress your network with a too large area, a primary reason we use multiple areas!

Second, using (specifically) GRE, you might create MTU fragmentation, between ABRs.  Remember, an intra area path takes precedence over an inter area path.

At the moment, possibly the biggest issue you have is your OSPF design is "unusual", because of the intentional nonzero partitioned areas.

Possibly, the best approach is to consider whether your independent areas should follow the norm and have different area numbers.

I didn't post it, but I also changed, in my lab, one partitioned area 6 to area 66.  LSDB information much like my first LSDB info, but perhaps a little clearer.

What you may want to further consider is whether you may eventually do some of the things areas support, differently, for specific areas.  If so, then you'll likely want different area numbers.

rais
Level 7
Level 7

Per the first diagram shared, effectively there are three areas: area 6 [North], area 0 and area 6 [Southwest]. 

Thanks.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card