cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Scrambed Hyperterminal on 1811

wiredupmedia
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone, I'm relatively new to all this and would really love some feedback on what the hell i did.

Ok so I picked up a Cisco 1811 router and connected it with the console cable to log in using hyperterminal. When it boot up it asked for user/password which I didnt have, so I looked up how to reset it.

Finally got into RCOMMON after a few tries and followed the instructions they gave which was confeg 0x2102confeg after I did that I entered reset and the screen started displaying gargled characters after a couple minutes I tried to reboot the router but now all that ever shows up is gargled characters.

Any help to bring this back online would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance,

Daniel   

10 Replies 10

Hi

It could be the baud rate, the default is 9600, verify that or try with other value :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/dial-access/asynchronous-connections/9321-terminal-settings.html

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/D37754FFA24F7C3F86256706005B9BE7

Also try to use putty instead hyperterminal.

Hope it is useful

:-)

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

Thanks for the help Julio. Yeah baud rate was correct at 9600 but still didn’t work. Also tried with putty and term term.

Is this working now ? At the ROMMON prompt type 'confreg'...what is the output ?

No unfortunately. Tried some other baud rates and still nothing. I can’t get anything on the terminal screen other then gargaled characters. 

Is is there anyway to get to the ROMMON prompt

Hello,

typically, you have to press Break on the terminal keyboard within 60 seconds of power up in order to put the router into ROMMON. Can you try that ?

I’ve gotten into ROMMON before the problem is now with the gargaled characters. I was wondering if there’s another way to reset the router. Could the compact flash have gotten corrupt?

Hi,

Have you tried with other adapter or console cable? The same behavior using Putty?

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

Hello,

when in ROMMON, try and set the configuration register to 0x2142, this will ignore the saved configuration. Maybe there is something other the 9600 baud configured on your console port...

Thats the command I wanted to use originally but I totally messed up. Now the problem I cant access the console at all just weird characters on screen and never seems to finish loading what ever its loading so it can receive input 

Hello,

at this point, I would power off the router, disconnect the console cable, reboot the PC, reconnect the cable, and start over again. You need to get to at least a prompt...

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card