cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Separating Point to Multipoint VPLS links?

tvictor001
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, so we ran into a small issue where we are migrating from MPSL to VPLS, but between management and our ISP came the small problem of how. Our new solution will be based on VPLS, but it will be hub and spoke based. I know on a normal VPLS solution each site can see every other site, but I have no idea how links are separated from each other in hub and spoke topology. Please see the attached image. Does anyone know how E-F is kept separate from C-D and on the multipoint interface, how does the interface discriminate which sub interface connects? I am confused here. The ISP will be configuring the actual VPLS, but how do I need to configure the CE routers, especialy the HUB multipoint interface?

2 Replies 2

Hello mate !!

If the ISP is the responsible for the configuration, you should not worry too much about it, cause you dont have to do anything on the CE side.

"Does anyone know how E-F is kept separate from C-D and on the multipoint interface, how does the interface discriminate which sub interface connects? "

The ISP "PE" router that will be connected at Gig0/1 , can distinguish betwen both connections / subinterfaces using the Dot1q vlan, separating them logically.   VPLS can tunnel both subinterfaces making them to appear as being two interfaces connecting directly the 2560 and the 2911´s.

Hello Gustavo!!

Thanks for the reply. Actually I need to configure the PE routers. That is why I am trying to figure out, what I need to configure on the sub interface in order for the two spokes to route through the hub.

Gustavo
Hello
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card