cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Setting/limited bandwidth?

cobobobo88
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, currently i am doing a final year project in my last semester. I ask this question on WAN section instead of LAN section because i have 3 networks. Before i start my question, i will talk about my network topology

PC1 is connected to Switch, Switch is connected to Router 1, Router 1 is connected to Router 2, Router 2 is connected to PC2

PC1 -------- Switch -------- [interface g0/0] Router 1 [interface g0/1] ----------------------- [interface g0/1] Router 2 [interface g0/0] -------------------- PC2

Router to Router' cable is crossover.

So the speed from PC1 to Router 1 is 100mbps as i see it from the PC1, and PC2 to router 2 is 1.0 Gbps

I am running a game applicaiton on both PC and the network only consume 5-7kb per second. My current goal now is to make some lagging in the game application. So i had set the bandwidth on four interface of 2 routers by below commandline but it still running smooth

Router> ena

Router# config t

Router (config)# int g0/1

Router (config-if) # bandwidth ?

<1 - 10000000> Bandwidth in kilobits

inherit              Specify how bandwidth is inherited

qos-reference    Reference bandwidth for QOS test

receive             Specify receive-side bandwidth

Router (config-if)#bandwidth 1

Router (config-if)# int g0/0

Router (config-if)#bandwidth 1

Router (config-if)#

I set the bandwidth to 1, so it should be 1000 bps, 1000/8 = 250kbps. So i assume now the whole network is only running 250kbps instead of 100mbps/1.0gbps.

I make a testing that running some other applications as well, and see that its running avearge 98mbps-100mpbs. So i think this above commandline is not working

Now my question is about is there any other commandline to set or limit my bandwidth?

Regards

cobo

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Cobo,

Couple of things:

1. On PC 2 is your NIC 1G or 100M

2. Bandwidth command on interface doesn't reflects what speed it will send the traffic, it is merely used for calculations in certainly IGPs (linke EIGRP, OSPF, etc).

For limiting the badwidth you have to make class-map and policy maps.

Skeleton would look like below:

ip access-list extended 101

permit ip

permit tcp

exit

(Include your protocol, if you use any other)

Class-map match-any bandwidthlimit

match ip access-group 100

exit

policy-map limiting

class bandwidthlimit

police

exit

HTH,

Smitesh

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Hi Cobo,

Couple of things:

1. On PC 2 is your NIC 1G or 100M

2. Bandwidth command on interface doesn't reflects what speed it will send the traffic, it is merely used for calculations in certainly IGPs (linke EIGRP, OSPF, etc).

For limiting the badwidth you have to make class-map and policy maps.

Skeleton would look like below:

ip access-list extended 101

permit ip

permit tcp

exit

(Include your protocol, if you use any other)

Class-map match-any bandwidthlimit

match ip access-group 100

exit

policy-map limiting

class bandwidthlimit

police

exit

HTH,

Smitesh

hi kharecha,

i try this cmd and its work

i configure in int g0/1

Router(config-if)# rate-limit output 8000 1500 2000 conform-action transmit exceed-action drop

thanks for telling me the setting bandwidth in int is for those EIGRP or OSPF...

Regards

cobo

Hi Cobo,

Definately that is also alternate, however more structure approach should be (while working with big networks) is to create access-list, calling that access-list in class-map and then calling that class-map in policy map and then apply shaping / policing over there; so that you can control what and which traffic and subnets are allow and upto what limit.

PS: If you think you concerns / doubt has been cleared, please close this tread; so that other community guys don't waste time coming to this thread and finding that it is already answered.

HTH,

Smitesh

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card