Views
Helpful
Replies

Setting up a network with Static Public IPs and Private (192.168.xxx.xxx) IPs

jellegard
Level 1
Level 1

hello all-

i am trying to setup a network with public static IP addresses and local (internal) IP addresses with 192.168.xxx.xxx format. i will try to explain as best i can how i have it set up and what my issues are.

i have COX business services in my home and 8 static public IPs assigned to me. i have tried setting this up and everything internally (192.168.xxx.xxx) works fine and all the devices can get to the outside world fine but when i try to access ANY of the devices on the public IPs from outside the network i get absolutely nothing. the browser just times out and i cannot ping the devices even though COX can see and says the devices are bridging over.  COX is unable to get a response when they ping the devices either.

one of the devices is a Synology NAS with one Ethernet port that is using a public IP and the other using a 192.168.xxx.xxx address.  when the Ethernet port is setup using a static public IP COX can see it but they get no response from a ping and when they go to the address to get the login page the browser times out.  when i reconfigure the port for DHCP it grabs a public DHCP address and when COX pings that they get a response AND they are able to type the DHCP adress in their browser and get to the login page no problem.  when i switch back to the static IP they can see it but again are unable to get a response from a ping and are unable to go to the login page.

my setup is:

COX Modem (only has 1 Ethernet port)  ====>> 8 port NETGEAR Gigabit switch (all devices with Public IPs are plugged into the NETGEAR switch)

NETGEAR switch  ====>> WAN Port on Airport Extreme (latest version w/all software updates)

LAN Port Airport Extreme  ====>> CISCO 2960 48 port Gigabit Switch (all internal devices are plugged into the CISCO switch)

like i said everything with the 192.168.xxx.xxx connects and i can connect to just fine but none of the devices with public static IPs can be pinged even though COX can see them bridging over.  i have tried all new cables on the devices and that didn't work so it has to be something with my setup.

do i need to add another router to this configuration because i have extra airport extremes lying around i can use if someone could just tell me how the setup should be.  i also have a few ports open on the CISCO switch; is there a way i can use it for the 4-5 devices that have public IPs?  or will that cause a problem with all the other devices plugged into it with the 192.168.xxx.xxx IP addresses?

i'm not a networking guru (obviously) so if you are able to help me get this setup properly can you try not to use Doctoral Level syntax in your response?  i would greatly appreciate it!

i appreciate any and all help... thx in advance....

1 Reply 1

Martin Carr
Level 4
Level 4

It's a little confusing, so can you access the NAS when it's got a dynamic configuration, but not statically? If so then you have not addressed it correctly.

Ideally you would setup the addresses in your Airport (if possible) and then 'PAT' the connections to the nodes on the internal network (i.e. forward traffic for port x to destination y), that way you can do away with the Netgear and all the connections you have.

Martin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card