Views
Helpful
Replies

SFP+ speeds

Omid Almasieh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Folks ,

we want to buy 150 Catalyst 2960Ss for one of our clients in campus access layer.They already have 1Gig backbone in place right now. Is it possible to buy 10gig capable 2960s switches with SPF+ modules but connect the SFP+ modules to  1 gig backbone (SFP Modules ) ? I mean is it posible to connect one SFP+ ports to SFP modules ? We want to do this for future investment .

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

This is like 100Base-FX on the on side and 1000Base-*X on the other - it won't work that way.

You can use classic 1 Gigabit SFPs for the 2960-Ss, or try to sell your customer some TenG-Linecards for the Core.

HTH

Rolf

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Rolf Fischer
Level 9
Level 9

Hi,

I'm not sure if I understand the question correctly.

From Catalyst 2960-S Questions and Answers:

Q. Can the 10 Gigabit SFP+ slots on the Cisco Catalyst 2960-S model support 1 Gigabit SFP modules?

A. Yes. The Catalyst 2960-S models that support 10 Gigabit SFP+ modules can also support SFP modules that operate at 1 Gigabit.

The linked Q&A-document also provides links to the Transiver Modules Compatibility Matrix.

HTH

Rolf

Hi

Question : Can we connect 10 Gigabit SFP+ that is already placed into the switch by fiber optic to the other switch which has 1 Gigabit SFP installed ?

SFP+ --------------------F.O---------------------------SFP ????

Thanks

Omid

This is like 100Base-FX on the on side and 1000Base-*X on the other - it won't work that way.

You can use classic 1 Gigabit SFPs for the 2960-Ss, or try to sell your customer some TenG-Linecards for the Core.

HTH

Rolf

Thank you so much for your help .

Regards ,

Omid

Is it possible to buy 10gig capable 2960s switches with SPF+ modules but connect the SFP+ modules to  1 gig backbone (SFP Modules )

As long as both ends have the same SFP speed, i.  e.  SFP+ and SFP+.

You can't have SFP+ at one end and SFP at another end.

Leo, correct me if I"m wrong.

I know, you can't have an SFP at one end, and a SFP+ at the other end.

But in theory, I believe you should be able to run a 1Gbps link, between two SFP+ ports,

they just will not be running at 10Gbps?

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

John, you sure can.  You just use SPF, not SPF+, optics in the SFP+ port.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: