Views
Helpful
Replies

SG250 routing L3

plavielle
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.

I have setup a fonctionning L3 SG250-08. Why L3 mode, because it works 1000 times more than in L2 mode (just test transfert file)

My question was simple : as soons as i have configured some port in "switchport mode layer 3" all other port on the switch are unusable in classic vlan configuration ????

In other word, i have configured 4 port in Layer 3, and i want to use other ports as classic VLAN port. Can i do this ???

Thanks for your responses

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

plavielle
Level 1
Level 1

This case can be close. I think i have made some mistake, but L3 routing is working well.

Thanks.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@plavielle wrote:

Why L3 mode, because it works 1000 times more than in L2 mode (just test transfert file)

It shouldn't be faster.

@plavielle wrote:

My question was simple : as soons as i have configured some port in "switchport mode layer 3" all other port on the switch are unusable in classic vlan configuration ????

Because you need to associate a VLAN with L3.  On the same device, this would be done using a switch virtual interface (SVI).  (As I'm unfamiliar with SG devices, cannot say how this can be done.)

On a SG250, if a "L2" switch, a L3 address might be just a management address, and if so, you would associate that with a particular VLAN.

@plavielle wrote:

In other word, i have configured 4 port in Layer 3, and i want to use other ports as classic VLAN port. Can i do this ???

Possibly.  Again, if your L3 ports are routable, than you would need to define a SVI for your "classic" VLAN ports.

Cannot say for sure for a SG250, but if it has CLI support, the two kinds of ports might look somewhat like:

interface FastEthernet0/1 !a routed port, not VLAN association
 no switchport
 ip address 192.168.2.1 255.255.255.0

interface Vlan1 !for all the VLAN 1 ports
 ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0

I do not have personal experience with this model of switch. But I am wondering about the command mentioned in the original post >pre>switchport mode layer 3. Like Joseph I am familiar with the

no switchport

command which is used in interface config mode and makes that particular port a layer 3 port and no longer a layer 2 switch port. I wonder if the command mentioned in the original post was entered in global config mode and affected ALL switch ports?

HTH

Rick

plavielle
Level 1
Level 1

This case can be close. I think i have made some mistake, but L3 routing is working well.

Thanks.

Thanks for the update. Good to know that L3 routing is working.

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card