cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Show interface Output

aloisgeorge
Level 1
Level 1

Just a question on show interface output on a WAN link [Other than Ethernet]. I know the bandwidth that is shown is not physically policing as it does not actually affect the link bandwidth but I am in the grey with MTU. What does MTU do..is it used to fragment packects on WAN links or it's used to accept incoming MTU packets?

If my carrier can take more than 1500Kb frames and the router generates a frame bigger than 1500Kb[ say by use of GRE] and if the router interface has MTU set to 1500 then what will happen? Will router send out a frame bigger than 1500kb or the statement on interface will cause fragmentation?

2 Replies 2

Hi,

It will fragment the data.

HTH,

Smitesh

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

"What does MTU do..is it used to fragment packects on WAN links or it's used to accept incoming MTU packets?"

MTU defines the maximum physical size the interface can handle.  On input, it will drop packets too large.  On output, it will either drop the packet, if IP packet indicates don't fragment, or fragment the packet and send it.  For the latter, packets will be fragmented to maximum size.  Last fragmented packet will have whatever is left over.

"If my carrier can take more than 1500Kb frames and the router generates a  frame bigger than 1500Kb[ say by use of GRE] and if the router  interface has MTU set to 1500 then what will happen?"

As described, above.

"Will router send out a frame bigger than 1500kb or the statement on interface will cause fragmentation?"

As described, above.

PS:

To take advantage that a carrier supports > 1500 for a GRE tunnel, your interface (or whole device) would also need to support the larger packet to avoid drops or fragments of 1500 byte packets with the added GRE overhead.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card