cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Simple Policy map question - I hope.

DialerString_2
Level 3
Level 3

I have the below policy attached to s0/0/0 - (service-policy output ETMS) Is the 256 being set aside until use?

policy-map ETMS

class SILVER

set ip dscp af31

bandwidth 256

18 Replies 18

Hi,

I don't think that the 25% is used for the class-default. I think that class-default uses the left-overs of other classes if no bandwidth is specified.

I thought by default

75% of the bandwidth can be allocated

to LLQ/CBWFQ (including the default class)

I think that control traffic is automatically prioritorized by the software and is part of the 25%

can't edit my post anymore

I was wrong

from cisco:

The remaining 25 percent is used for other overhead, including Layer 2 overhead, routing traffic, and best-effort traffic. Bandwidth for the CBWFQ class-default class, for instance, is taken from the remaining 25 percent.

Hello Davy,

class-default traffic should go with the 75% of BW.

I may be wrong but there is no sense to have best effort traffic to compete with routing protocol packets.

So I agree with your first post.

To be added:

not all cisco platforms have this concept of a system queue for control traffic.

For example on C7500, C7200 and GSR 12000 we had to explicitly provide a class to protect routing protocol messages like BGP or OSPF.

the 25% is a rule of thumb that can be reduced on high speed links to a lower value freeing BW to be left for user traffic.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Bandwidth reservation depends on the platform and IOS version. On many Cisco routers, CBWFQ won't allow you to explictly define more than 75% of the bandwidth unless the default reserved bandwidth reservation is changed on the interface.

The reason for this is to reserve bandwidth for other traffic, including, but not limited to, class-default (when bandwidth isn't defined for it).

Since only LLQ's bandwidth statement limits bandwidth, any class can use up to 100% of available bandwidth (this also assumes there isn't a defined shaper or policer within the class).

On many platforms CBWFQ, control traffic, unless explictly matched in a defined class, will fall within class-default. Assuming max reserved bandwidth hasn't been changed, and also assuming WFQ is active with class-default, control traffic is often not adversely impacted by other traffic.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card